USB HDD Speeds over Internal Network

eljusticiero67
Aspirant

USB HDD Speeds over Internal Network

Hi I am getting about 10MB per second it seems for writing, and 12MB per second for reading. Does this seem normal? It doesnt seem normal since my INTERNET download speeds are often higher. Any idea what might be causing this?

I am on a Mac and HDD is NTFS formatted. 

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
IrvSp
Master

Re: USB HDD Speeds over Internal Network

I'm on a PC so I don't know if there is Mac s/w to handle the testing of the speed. There is however a program for the Mac from the makers of the program I use, http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed is the link will get you to it.

Also there are MANY 'things' contributing to the speed. Your Internet speed isn't one of them, but depending on method connecting, if they are the limiting Internet Speed, then this could be a contributor.

Basically the speed is dependant on

• Device connections, all wired, all wireless, or a combination.
  • Speeds of the connection, wired would be the network adapter max. speed and the cable used (CATx), wireless the network adapter speed.
  • Speed of the computers and the internal bus.
  • Speed of the disks, USB or other type as well.
  • Size of the file. Small files would have a slower speed as there is 'setup' and 'shutdown' timings while the actual transfers of the file would be the same. Less filesize to be sent, the more those two are influencing the speed downward.
  • Other activity going on at the same time, both on the pc's but the router as well.

Now I have an R7000. My PC is connected via wire with a 1GB connection. My wife's PC is wireless with a Netgear A6100 connecting at 866Mbps. Bus connected SATA III drives on both systems run by Intel i7 processors.

Using the PC version of the program on a 100Mb file I get 222Mbps Write, 110Mbps Read speeds between the 2 PC.

Now from my PC to a USB 2.0 drive on the R7000 with the same filesize I get 140Mbps Write and 640Mbps Read.

Message 2 of 4
eljusticiero67
Aspirant

Thank you for all this detail. Seems like @ 110Mbps write, you are not too far off from my write speeds. It just seems surprising that internal networks would be almost the same speed as internet download speeds. I don't have any other devices connected and tested large files mostly..

Message 3 of 4
IrvSp
Master

@eljusticiero67 wrote:

@Thank you for all this detail. Seems like @ 110Mbps write, you are not too far off from my write speeds. It just seems surprising that internal networks would be almost the same speed as internet download speeds. I don't have any other devices connected and tested large files mostly..

No, my READ was 110Mbps. Write was much faster. That of course was to the SATA III drive on my wife's PC.

"Using the PC version of the program on a 100Mb file I get 222Mbps Write, 110Mbps Read speeds between the 2 PC."

Why it is so different from the Write speed, I don't know?

Now taking out the wireless connection going onto the R7000's USB 2.0 drive the speeds improve significantly with respect to read...

"Now from my PC to a USB 2.0 drive on the R7000 with the same filesize I get 140Mbps Write and 640Mbps Read."

The WRITE is slower than the PC, and that is most likely due to the difference in accessing a SATA III drive vs. the USB 2.0. A USB 3.0 drive connected to the R7000 would probably perform better on both the Write and Read speeds. Reads are significantly faster than from the PC, again, due to the wireless connection. Some of that might also be due to the R7000's internal s/w and processing to the USB drive vs. sending packets to another PC.

The fact that your Internet speed is around 100Mbps down.

Using a Disk Speed test program on wife's PC the READ speed is about 30% faster, so there is overhead going via the wired to router to wireless.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E