Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB drive not detecting although others do

Sandaz
Aspirant

USB drive not detecting although others do

Hi, I have a R6700(v3) and Im trying to use a 3.5" WD RED Plus 6TB HDD in a powered Sabrent USB enclosure (model number ‎EC-DFFN) as a network/readyshare drive. It isnt detected by the router when formated to NTFS and I need it to so I can use my full 6TB drive.

I am using the most recent router firmware acording to the router settings page: V1.0.4.122_10.0.95

I also updated the firmware of the Sabrent enclosure. 

Here's what works and what doesnt:

- Other USB drives and flashdrives can be detected by the router.

- A 500GB NTFS 2.5" drive in the same Sabrent enclosure can be detected by the router.

- The 6tb WD red Plus that I wish to use only works when its formated to FAT32, i tired it twice with a single 30GB partition and a single 40TB partition.

- If I format the 6TB drive to NFTS it isnt detected by the router - even with a single 20GB partition. This is the problem.

The enclosure is driverless so that's not the issue. 

The router manual states that NTFS is supported and it does wok with other, smaller NTFS drives (I have tested a couple up to 1TB).

I have since seen the knowledge base webpage of tested, known compatible USB drives for R6700 V2 (mine is a V3) but that webpage is old and far from comprehensive. It's also not refferenced in the manual. The manual only states that the USB drive needs to be in a supported format (including NTFS) and that it needs to be driverless.

Any help or insights greatly appreciated.

Chris

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Sandaz
Aspirant

Re: USB drive not detecting although others do

An update to this, it was the enclosure that was the issue (Sabrent model number ‎EC-DFFN).   I purchased another cheap adapter (Alxum model number Y-1039) to test and it worked with the 6TB WD Red Plus (noting that I needed to clean, reinitializing and reformat the drive since, with the new adapter, disk manager was stating that the drive had a 'GPT Protective Partition').   

The Alxum goes to sleep after 30 minutes without use but the Netgear r6700(v3) wakes it up just fine when i access the drive from my PC.

Hopefully that helps others trying this stuff!   - it was very frusrating to figure out.

Cheers

Chris 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies

Support for USB drives is a bit hit and miss. Anything slightly out of the ordinary can be a pig.

The only reliable strategy seems to be to buy something that is known to work rather than trying to find ways of getting reluctant drives to work.

Message 2 of 10
Sandaz
Aspirant

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Its a shame that there is no consistency and that somthing like your advice isn't in the manual.

Is there a more complete / current source for figuring out which larger (>4TB) drives will be compatible?

Is there any chance that the problem is the enclosure? - I am considering buying another one to try with my 6TB drive.

Cheers

Chris

Message 3 of 10

@Sandaz wrote:

Is there a more complete / current source for figuring out which larger (>4TB) drives will be compatible?

I use an 8 TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub. It has two USB ports that ReadySHARE can also get at. I have it on an R7800, even though it does not claim compatibility.

Is there any chance that the problem is the enclosure? - I am considering buying another one to try with my 6TB drive.

Yes. This came up recently. But I fear that I can't remember the details.

Message 4 of 10
Sandaz
Aspirant

Thanks, I'll try a new enclosure first. Failing that I'll look out for a Seagate Backup Plus Hub on sale. 

Much appreciated, have a great day.

FYI for others interested in this issue: I just heard back from Sabrent support and my enclosure "is Plug and Play, however, this device is able to work only connected to a computer." so potentaily thge enclosure is part of the issue, although im not sold on Sabrent tech advice as they have been wrong about a couple of things.

Message 5 of 10

@Sandaz wrote:

FYI for others interested in this issue: I just heard back from Sabrent support and my enclosure "is Plug and Play, however, this device is able to work only connected to a computer." so potentaily thge enclosure is part of the issue, although im not sold on Sabrent tech advice as they have been wrong about a couple of things.

Thanks for doing that research. It sort of fits in with my memory of previous failures with enclosures.

Then again, you can never rule out firmware problems these days. There just been so many examples of dodgy releases.

Message 6 of 10
Sandaz
Aspirant

An update to this, it was the enclosure that was the issue (Sabrent model number ‎EC-DFFN).   I purchased another cheap adapter (Alxum model number Y-1039) to test and it worked with the 6TB WD Red Plus (noting that I needed to clean, reinitializing and reformat the drive since, with the new adapter, disk manager was stating that the drive had a 'GPT Protective Partition').   

The Alxum goes to sleep after 30 minutes without use but the Netgear r6700(v3) wakes it up just fine when i access the drive from my PC.

Hopefully that helps others trying this stuff!   - it was very frusrating to figure out.

Cheers

Chris 

Message 7 of 10

@Sandaz wrote:

An update to this, it was the enclosure that was the issue (Sabrent model number ‎EC-DFFN).

So, your earlier conclusion was correct.

I wonder of it was your particular Sabrent box., or if it is down to that model.

I needed to clean, reinitializing and reformat the drive since, with the new adapter, disk manager was stating that the drive had a 'GPT Protective Partition').   

I wonder if it would have worked in the Sabrent formatted like that. But better not tempt fate.

Thanks for reporting back. It might save someone else from the same frustration.

Message 8 of 10
Sandaz
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

I needed to clean, reinitializing and reformat the drive since, with the new adapter, disk manager was stating that the drive had a 'GPT Protective Partition').   

I wonder if it would have worked in the Sabrent formatted like that. But better not tempt fate.

I tried everything with the Sabrent too and it didnt work.  I believe that Sabrent model had/has an issue with drives over 2TB (according to amzn reviews) that they also say that's fixed with a firmware update, which I did. I reckon that firmware update is shonky and doesnt cover all of the issues.

Message 9 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Some enclosures have a 2 TiB limit, irrespective of the partition type. This is because the USB-SATA bridge IC's firmware can only address 32 bit LBAs. The firmware (and hardware) in newer enclosures can address the full 48 bits. That said, if an enclosure supports 48-bit LBA, then it should also support storage blocks >> 2 TiB.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7