Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB drives are loosing configuration after reboot

Miras
Aspirant

USB drives are loosing configuration after reboot

Hello all,

I have two USB drives connected. Once I do configuration of ReadyShare folder path for both of them everything works just fine.
But when router reboot or power cycle,then directory path configuration for each USB port mix up and finally are not working. To get it work I need to map them again in web UI.
Is there any way how to avoid loosing configuration of usb paths when reboot or power cycle?
I use latest stock firmware.
Thank you in advance for any advice. Kind regards Mira
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Miras
Aspirant

Re: USB drives are loosing configuration after reboot

Hi James,

No worry, just figured out! Evolution is unstoppable... DD WRT is on board and drives works as charm!
In any case that upgrade is must have to enjoy that great router we paid for.

Hope thats help to other;)

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
Miras
Aspirant

To be more specific, here are two picture.

One is after setting USB drives directories and permision:

after setting - works fine.PNG

You can see three shares:

USB3.0 "cloud$" and "familycloud"

USB2.0 just "mirror$"

End evertything works as it should.

But second picture is after reboot or power cycle where defined shares dissapear and remain only:

after reboot.PNG

USB3.0 "mirror$"

USB2.0 "mirror$"

it is obvious that both cannot work with same name:( so only one of them works until I set it again.... everybody know that router has to reboot from time to time, and set every day again is quite booring....

If anybody could help pleas. thank you in advance Mira

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Miras,

Can you check the ReadyShare setup under advanced tab if still the same.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 3 of 12
Miras
Aspirant

Hi JamesGL,

at first thank you for your reply.
I tried doing the same in advance tab, and result was the same. Path directory were merged to one.

Here is my drives configuration:
I have two sata drives connected via these USB enclosures: https://gear-up.me/axago-usb-3-0-sata-3-5-quot-external-aline-box.html
Sata drives are also entirely the same.
So I was thinking like a both USB has the same "signature" and thats why router mix up after boot initialization.
So I tried connect ordinary USB Flash drive instead of disk in USB2.0 and problem disappeared.
Defined path directories are persistent after reboot or power cycle.
Both sata dirives in enclosures are named by router as "USB_Storage" and both assigned with U:\ character.
On other side USB Flash drive was named as "T_Drive" with different character,and maybe thats the reason why it works...

Solution could be replace one sata drive enclosure by different one, nativ USB2.0, different maker...so it´s "signature" will differ?
What do you think?

Message 4 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Miras,

Probably that might be the problem. They should have different folder directory. Here is mine which is working fine although I am using a 4TB with 3 partitions.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 5 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Miras,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 6 of 12
Miras
Aspirant

Hi James,

I am currently waiting for delivery of new Sweex St032 disk enclosure,with native usb2.0 and I hope it will works as it should!

Btw heave you or any body seen that router wit two sata drives in usb enclosured working properly?

Do you have any idea what to do if same problem occures again? 

I will post update after I give it try! Regards Mira

Message 7 of 12
Miras
Aspirant

Hi there,

I am back with my update! and no joy so far:(

https://www.google.com/search?q=sweex%20st032&rct=j

arrived and tested. Drive connnected via USB2.0 sucsessfully..drive assigned with different character(S:\) and I was quite happy and wondered if will be settings persistent after reboot..and what...USB2.0 drive did not connect at all:( USB3.0 drive working just fine and USB2.0 drive with new driver/enclosure is dead until power cycle, seems like usb driver/router has problem to restore connection with hotswap:( 

Seems like usb driver in Sweex enclosue is a problem! luckily i can return. so still on the way:(

Message 8 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Miras,

I am not really sure when it comes to enclosure since most of the compatible USD devices for the routers are the usual external drives.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 9 of 12
Miras
Aspirant

Hi James,

No worry, just figured out! Evolution is unstoppable... DD WRT is on board and drives works as charm!
In any case that upgrade is must have to enjoy that great router we paid for.

Hope thats help to other;)
Message 10 of 12
mlel
Aspirant

I've just been notified about this thread. I have a similar problem I am discussing in https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Readyshare-bug-R7000-with-multiple-disks/m-p....

Ddwrt may solve this problem but it limits other aspects so in both situations we can't enjoy the great hardware. Fixing this in the native firmware would be greatly appreciated.
Message 11 of 12
Miras
Aspirant

mlel you are right, it was working fine in dd-wrt, but on other side I was not able to manage drives to spin down, I tried everything, hdparm, sdparm etc.. and no joy. So currently I am back on stock firmware, and I have solved loosing issue.

Problem was that two identical enclosures had identical USB<>SATA driver signiture, so therefore router was confused every reboot. So one of those USB<>SATA was replaced by another USB enclosure (different maker=driver) and removed USB enclosure was just moved from the router to my linux server, so still on LAN. Finally that is not problem for me, because I have 4 drives as NAS in total, not matter which one is in router and which one is in server.

However conclusion is that that issue was due to two identical USB<>SATA drivers... so using two different drivers will prevent config loosing.

Ciao

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7