Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: USB hard drive on Nighthawk 7000v2

Cats615
Aspirant

USB hard drive on Nighthawk 7000v2

Connected a little 2T drive to our home network, got it setup in Netgear control for the router and can manipulate files with programs such as Tag and Rename.  Problem is, getting a Unix error when anyone tries to change or manipulate a folder.  Went in and changed permissions, no difference.  Hubby's office is down stairs and mine up, so being able to manipulate files at all levels is important.  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Cats615,

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the router. May we know the exact model of the router? What is the brand and model of the 2TB hard drive? Have you tried other hard drive? Please DM us the serial number of the router.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 2 of 7
Cats615
Aspirant

Thanks so much for the very quick comeback, the router is as above, R7500v2 Nickthawk X4 (AC2350 Smart WiFi Router with a serial # of 4BU35956055FE.  The hard drive is a Seagate Expansion Portable Drive, Model SRD00F1.  One of the issues is an error message when I try to rename or manipulate a folder, the msg is "You require permission from Unix User/root to make changes to this folder", I'm aware that drill down deep enough and you will find that Windows is a Unix heart but haven't seen anything like this since the '80s and DOS commands.  Thanks in advance for any info, let me know if you need any further info on equipment.

Email addy is :  kity5@shorelan.com,

Diane

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 3 of 7
Cats615
Aspirant

Btw, formating is NTFS.

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 4 of 7

@Cats615 wrote:

One of the issues is an error message when I try to rename or manipulate a folder, the msg is "You require permission from Unix User/root to make changes to this folder"

What throws up that message? Windows Explorer? Something else?

Is this USB drive set up in Readyshare? (You first message just says "setup in Netgear control for the router".)

What is it that you want to do with these files? Move? Rename? Delete?

I find that ReadyCLOUD is good, even for local files.

Message 5 of 7
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Cats615,

You may also try to check this link https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/SOLVED-You-need-permission-to-perfo...

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 6 of 7
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Cats615,

We would like to do a follow-up on this one. Were you able to check the link? Do you still require assistance?

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7