• 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Unable to Delete Old Router, Can't Access Internet With New R7000

I installed a new R7000 router today. My old router is disconnected, and I deleted as many references to it as I could find. When I view the list of available networks on my computer, Galaxy 7, and TV, I see my old network. My new router is not on the list. I'm not able to add it. How do I delete my old router?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted

Re: Unable to Delete Old Router, Can't Access Internet With New R7000

You can't just swap out one router for another. You have to take your network, including the modem, though the complete start up sequence so that each device can get the right address.

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

The quick start guide is probably the best place to look for instructions.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I followed your instructions but, unfortunately, I'm still seeing my old router in the list of available networks.
We have a smart TV, and it has been used to access the internet a few times. When shutting off, etc. the modem, router, and computer, do I also have to do something with the TV? Do I have to do anything with the Roku box?
On the router, four lights on the left are white, and two lights on the right are white. The second light from the left edge is blinking.
Thanks for your help.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted

@Mariposa wrote:
On the router, four lights on the left are white, and two lights on the right are white. The second light from the left edge is blinking.

There is a page in the manual to tell you what the LEDs mean.

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See pages 11 and 189.

This seems to say that your router is working as expected.

Are you connected to the Internet through the router? You don't say.

On the TV and Roku, what you have to do depends on the hardware and how they connect.

Devices that were set up to work through the old router may need tweaking. What you have to do depends on the connection. If it is wifi, then you can either set the new router to have the same SSID and password as the old router, or you can set up the wifi clients to connect to the new router's SSID with its password.

My preference is to set the SSID and password to something specific to my network and then to use those details for every device I use as a router.

This also makes it easier for visitors to connect to my wifi without having to enter the details when I change the router.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4