Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to Unregister to register ReadyCLOUD with a different user

vardaman
Tutor

Unable to Unregister to register ReadyCLOUD with a different user

Since installing firmware v1.0.1.70 i have been unable to access my USB drive and the readyCloud.  I have changed the password of my readycloud netgear account and I can't unregister in order to re-register with new password.  I have recently installed firmware V1.0.1.74 hoping that htis woudl sort out the problem but I still cant unregister.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
vardaman
Tutor

I have to reset the cloud password. I can set it back to old one.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

In other words - the [Unregister] does not work?

What-if temporary changing the password to the "old" one, reboot the router (which should re-connect ot the ReadyCloud again based on the stored credentials), and the try the Unregister again?

ReadyCloud - Unregister.PNG

Message 2 of 5
vardaman
Tutor

I have to reset the cloud password. I can set it back to old one.
Message 3 of 5
vardaman
Tutor

And you are quite right the unregister does not work. The message comes up "unable to unregister"
Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

With the original password, the [Unregister] does go through (as I would expect)? As you marked an above post as a solution - I guess that was a confirmation.

The problem might be that the [Unregister] does more than just removing the ReadyCloud - it has to remove it from your ReadyCloud device(s) list, where a workable authentication is required. Now the inability to just remove the ReadyCloud access from the router without valid credentials in place - with the intention to re-add new credentials does unveil some limited NTGR design. In my opinion (oh @michaelkenward won't love me for this) the connectivity should be retained, e.g. based on some authentication tickets (tokens, certificates, Kerberos tickets, whatever ...), which are independent of the username/email and password credentials. "Just" changing the [My]Netgear account password should not break the App and embedded cloud access for probably multiple devices (router[s], ReadyNAS, ...). And hey NTGR, storing credentials required for any kind of network or cloud access isn't the best idea of it comes to IT security.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7