Unable to change Device Priority on X6 R8000

mmmix
Luminary

Unable to change Device Priority on X6 R8000

Not sure if this happened with the latest firmware, but I'm not unable to change the Device Priority for attached devices. I can select and checkbox and edit, but any changes to the popup are not saved with clicking apply.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 22
IrvSp
Master

Re: Unable to change Device Priority on X6 R8000

What do you mean by "Device Priority"?

Do you mean Address Reservation under Advanced, LAN Setup?

Are you saying afer you 'ADD' and enter data it doesn't show as an Address Reservation?

Perhaps you had not entered the MAC Address and Device Name correctly?

It works for me on the V1.0.4.12 and .18 firmware?

Message 2 of 22
IrvSp
Master

Forgot about that one... I don't use it.

Tested it now... seems it works differently. You can get to it under BASIC and ADVANCED... Under BASIC I can change the priority for devices. I don't even know how they were even set, seemed random. Under Advanced NOTHING showed initially, I had to keep hitting REFRESH. Didn't even try to modify anything?

The two pages seemed to be different as well? For a short period my Internet Speed was faster from my ISP, about 3 weeks. When that happened I enable QoS and did the speed test and disabled it. OK, today when I looked at BASIC it was that higher speed. So I enabled and ran the test, did the APPLY and then looked at the list. Raised one from what it was to HIGH and did an APPLY and it showed as HIGH. Reloaded the page and it didn't change. Then went to it under ADVANCED. To my surprise it had the OLD faster speed? Huh? I enabled and did the Speed test, and did the APPLY, then looked at the device list.... NONE there? Did a REFRESH, only the one I changed showed, even with another REFRESH??? Confused at this point (I'm on V1.0.4.18) I just went back and disabled Q0S.

Message 3 of 22
mmmix
Luminary

Yes, using Dynamic QoS. It's a PC that's wired to the router with a static IP.

I decided to grit my teeth and factory reset the router, but it made no difference, so it seems this is definitely a bug. Dynamic QoS is assigning some random priority and I cannot override it.

Was going to contact tech support, but they charge??? Surely there must be a way to report a bug without paying?

Message 4 of 22
mmmix
Luminary

I understand that the nature of dynamic QoS is that it automatically adjusts, but it should be possible for me to override it when I know I want a route prioritized. And if that wasn't intended, then why provide the popup menu in the first place? And the help says that "when running high priority applications in the same category on different devices, device priority is used to prioritize the traffic".

So I still contend that this is a bug.

Message 5 of 22
TXWEST1
Luminary

Agree this is a bug. With Dynamic QOS turned on, the Attached Devices UI changes and allows manually setting relative priorities by device (eg highest, high, medium, low). This would be great for setting a high priority to, say, a smart TV, while lowering priority for an IOT device.  If it is truly dynamic and not supposed to be managed, then the UI should be modified to remove the ability to edit priority.

Prior firmware allowed editing the device name, priority and device type (which apparently only affect the icon displayed to represent the device in the list.  The latest firmware (V1.0.4.18_10.1.49), released in May, 2018, still allows editing, but the changes to priority do not save to the router, while changes to the device name and type do save.

Message 6 of 22
Flashbugga
Luminary

Has anyone found a fix for this..
Seems that The device renaming & the device priority editing seems to have blown a head gasket 😞

Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 7 of 22
LooDog
Luminary

seems NETGEAR and their overpriced crap DOESNT WANT TO step up and resolve the bug they placed into their FIRMWARE? HEY NET GEAR DEVICE PRIORITY DOESENT SET AND YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO PAY 150.00 TO GET THE ANSWER FROM YOUR LITTLE MAINTENANCE AGREEMENT. YOU CUT YOUR OWN THROAT WHEN YOU TREAT PEOPLE LIKE THIS AND DONT THINK THIS WILL BE GOOD FOR SALES.

Message 8 of 22
LooDog
Luminary

ARE U TECH SUPPORT, A DUMBASS LIKE ME UNDERSTOOD HIS QUESTION IMMEDIATELY.

WHATS THE ANSWER THE  WHOLE WORLD WANTS TO KNOW WITHOUT SPENDING 150.00

Message 9 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@LooDog wrote:

ARE U TECH SUPPORT,

If you EXPECT to see Tech Support here, much less provide support, maybe you should consider this is BASICALLY a USER to USER forum with a few Netgear Moderator who monitor the forum and occasionally provide limited assistance.

Want REAL Tech Support, and I use that term loosely and I've not had good luck with them recently you do need to pay the fee to use the 3rd party support that is offered. Do NOT expect them to FIX firmware though.

Message 10 of 22
Flashbugga
Luminary

Sorted Mine..
Factory Reset & Full Re-Install 

Message 11 of 22
LooDog
Luminary

Flashbugga are you saying you got your QOS priorities to set and hold?

Message 12 of 22
Flashbugga
Luminary

Yes. Correct 

Message 13 of 22
AhhDrrt
Luminary

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this issue is STILL a bug. Full factory reset and and rebuild does not allow me to save priority levels for any device. Re-installing the latest firmware didn't help. Disabling QOS, rebooting and Re-enabling QOS didn't help. Changing the priority level from "attached devices" under the Basic tab or from under the Advanced tab, Administration menu item makes no difference.

Has anyone from Netgear addressed this or at least acknowledged the issue?

I'm running an R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 with firmware build V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 and GUI language version V1.0.4.28_2.1.49.1 

Message 14 of 22
LooDog
Luminary

Well i installed an older version of their firmware and that resolved it. I tell you what though, Netgear wont see any more of my coins. 

R8000-V1.0.3.26_1.1.18.chk    look for this firmware

Message 15 of 22
LooDog
Luminary

Hey try this older firmware

R8000-V1.0.3.26_1.1.18.chk

Message 16 of 22
LooDog
Luminary

try older firmware

R8000-V1.0.3.26_1.1.18.chk

Message 17 of 22
AhhDrrt
Luminary

I think I might convert to an open source router firmware, like dd-wrt or tomato. I'm highly disappointed in Netgear's firmware support for their equipment or lack of it to be more precise.
It seems they just want to sell hardware and couldn't give a flip what happens after the sale. I agree with you, I'll move on to another company for my next router purchase.
I had considered buying the new r9000 with integrated Plex server, but after the issues I've had with this router, I can't justify spending that amount of money for something that may not work correctly out of the box or may be broken after some future firmware update that Netgear won't fix.
They don't even have proper bug reporting. Just an additional cash grab for "third party support".
Ok.. rant is done. 😒
Message 18 of 22
LooDog
Luminary

I totally agree. I will check out tomato. Im self taught so that makes me real dangerous. Its the crash and fix way to go. ;} It does seem to be a cash grab though. Seems reckless on their part. Why wouldnt one provide free support and maybe on certain items especially expensive ones? Hell i dont know. I mean all of the junk one sells, because i would think it pays off at the end of life of the product when you come bact to buy their product once again? I couldnt believe their SUPPORT PROGRAM for sale and covering everything you own. So if you use their service contract, DO THEY RESOLVE THIS ISSUE? And if they do resolve it, it would seem the thieves are at work creating problems for you to pay to fix their deliberate screw up. Sounds like a law suit would be in order here. I get the concept (cash grabbers). I thought i saw somewheres that a unit reset and reconfig solved the issue, but it sure as hell didnt work for me.

You just rant on my friend, youve paid alot of money to be able to do it,   so get r done!   

Message 19 of 22
Thaigers
Luminary

You can do this by going to Administration & Attached Devices. Here is where you can change the device priority.

Message 20 of 22
IrvSp
Master

This is a fairly old discusssion but for me it just doesn't work.

Attached device list on my R8000 V1.0.4.28_10.1.54  changes SIGNIFICANTLY when QoS is enabled. Right now, ONLY my PC is basically 'on'. That is in use. Other PC's, Printer, iPad's, phones, Echo, and TV's, although connected and have IP addresses according to Attached Devices when QoS is off, ONLY my PC shows when I enable QoS. I don't use QoS but that alone is a big bug. Probably because I was working on the router and rebooted it, but all the devices that were powered on, the iPad's, phones, and Echo reconnected.

I didn't bother messing with the Priority, but I suspect it would hold either, which is the original complaint. Clearly since the full list of attached devices is not shown when QoS is enabled there is some problem there. The whole Attached Device list process is broken as many have reported as well. After my router reboot (using the power button) and reviewing the log for IP requests, I can see ONE iPad isn't listed. Easy to determine too as the DHCP IP Addresses on the list is missing a sequential number which the log shows went to a device and the MAC Address indicates it is an APPLE device, and by names in the Attached Device list it is an iPad, which when opened IS connected and have the missing IP Address.

Bottom line, it might work for some as the priority is shown, but some say it can't be changed, and many say the Attached Device list is broken.

Message 21 of 22
RMinNJ
Luminary

I'm having this this problem  with my R7800..  I cannot save any of the settings;  name, device type, priority under attached devices..  I know a factory reset and restore of my settings from a backup file does not make a difference.  Im going to try a factory reset and type in all my settings by hand again.   This stared with 1.0.2.52 firmware and on for my router.   I have a support case with netgear but they so far they have not been able to help me with this..even new firmware does not fix the problem for me  (straight upgrade to the firmware).

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E