Unable to change device priority on R8500 (firmware issue?)

kmaier
Follower

Unable to change device priority on R8500 (firmware issue?)

When I first installed my R8500, I set the device priority for all the devices attached to my network.  Recently I went to change the device priorities, and even though I can select a new priority and press save, it does NOT save the changes.  I can change the name of the device on the same screen and it saves, but the device priority does not change.   I tried in multiple browers with no difference.

I know that I've upgraded firmware versions along the way, so thinking that might be the problem, I kept downgrading the firmware until I found one that worked.   Ends up that firmware version V1.0.2.30_1.0.43  **works** but any newer one after that on the R8500 does not.

So my currently solution is to leave this old firmware version in place, and I hope that someone from Netgear sees this and opens a big fix report to correct this in a newer firmware version.  (that is assuming this setting actually does something when set differently).

Ken

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to change device priority on R8500 (firmware issue?)

Hi @kmaier

Welcome to the community!

Did you try to factory reset the router after firmware update? 

I cannot replicate the problem you're having. It's saving the changes on the router that I have. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 6
R8500User
Initiate

I am having the same problems with changing device priority. I make the changes, click Apply, and the changes do not stick. I notice you mentioned a "factory reset". Is that pertain to pressing the little blue button on the back of the unit? We purchased the tri-band router for its capabilities and would like to utilize all of it, not just what the router changes our settings to.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@R8500User Try to reinstall the firmware and then do a factory reset. 

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 6
R8500User
Initiate

Thank you. Would there also be a setting to stop the router from configuring and changing the device priority, which antenna its gathering from (2.4G, 5G, 2nd 5G)? Or will the reset fix this issue? Will the router then want to update back to the same firmware version that's cauising this to happen? I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Resetting will wipe out all the current settings on the router. 

So it's better that you take note of the settings when you reconfigure it. 

The router will not update or downgrade the firmware that it's currently using.

You will either have to update the firmware manually or by automatically using the update button on the GUI.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E