Re: Unable to connect to DM200

Zaha
Aspirant

Unable to connect to DM200

So I have a Nighthawk X6 R8000 which has been able to connect to the internet via a DM111P for as long as I've had it.

I just configured a DM200 and switched it to modem-only mode and swapped out the DM111P for the DM200. Now not only do I not have internet, I can't even connect through to the DM200 via it's IP address. Every light on the DM200 is green and all lights on the Nighthawk are green except the internet LED. The only way I can connect to the DM200 is to physically disconnect it from the Nighthawk and plug it directly into a PC.

All the in-use cables have been tested and work. How do I get the Nighthawk to connect?
Message 1 of 9
antinode
Guru

> I just configured a DM200 and switched it to modem-only mode and
> swapped out the DM111P for the DM200.

How was the DM111P (plain/"v1" or "v2"?) configured?  I didn't see a
modem-only mode in the User Manual I found.

> [...] I can't even connect through to the DM200 via it's IP address.

Which "[its] IP address" are you using?  192.168.5.1?

How is the R8000 configured?

You might want to reset everyone and start over.  You might also
consider using the DM200 in modem+router mode, with the R8000 as a
wireless access point.  As usual, many things are possible.

Message 2 of 9
Zaha
Aspirant

DM111P modems don't have a router mode to switch off. You configure them with your ISP connection details so it makes the connection and your router doesn't. Router just needs to be configured not to attempt ISP login.

DM200 modems function in one of two modes: modem-router, where it attempts to do ISP connect AND network TCP/IP with optional DHCP or modem-only where it takes ISP login commands from the router instead. By default the DM200 is set to modem-router. In either setting it should be accessible by IP address (yes I'm using the default 192.168.5.1).

I configured it to have all the same ISP settings as my DM111P (which doesn't say v2 so I assume is a v1) as just-in-case insurance and then set it to modem-only. I then put the same settings into the router (although the X6 has less complex settings - no VPI/VCI or multiplexing settings).

Basically, none of my connection settings have changed, just which device rides shotgun on them. If it were working as described, the modem would simply take my internet login details off the router and obligingly connect, but the router doesn't even seem to see that a functional modem is connected.

The internal network is on a different IP schema to the modem but that was never an issue with the DM111P (I never changed it off its default IP of 192.168.0.1), so I can't see it being a problem here - particularly since that's not even something you can alter when the DM200 is in modem-only mode.
Message 3 of 9
antinode
Guru

> DM111P modems don't have a router mode to switch off.

Yup.  Sorry.  I grabbed the wrong manual (DM111PSP, not DM111P).

> [...] I then put the same settings into the router (although the X6
> has less complex settings - no VPI/VCI or multiplexing settings).

Which "the same settings"?  PPPoE credentials?  The low-level DSL
parameters must be handled by the modem.  Higher-level stuff (PPP) may
be done elsewhere.

> Basically, none of my connection settings have changed, just which
> device rides shotgun on them.

It might be nice to see the details of who does what.

> The internal network is on a different IP schema to the modem but that
> was never an issue [...]

Yeah.  I wouldn't expect that to matter.

If your PPPoE credentials have moved from the DM111P to the R8000,
is there any chance that you have some special characters in them which
thr R8000 might be mishandling?  (This has been a problem on some other
models.)

Message 4 of 9
Zaha
Aspirant

> Which "the same settings"?  PPPoE credentials?
The PPPoE credentials, yes.

>It might be nice to see the details of who does what.
So the X6's internet connection options only asks for login required y/n, connection type (PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP), login username, password, service name (which is optional), connection mode and idle timeout.

However the DM200 in modem-only mode only has a "Passthrough VLAN" checkbox and the device administration options (router status, logs, attached devices, backup, set password and firmware upgrade).  All other menu page links on the device (internet setup, WAN setup, LAN setup, security schedule, port forwarding, static routes, remote management and IPv6) get greyed out as inaccessable.  In modem-only it's intended to be a bridging device and nothing more.  There is literally nothing to change (like I said, the only reason I put the internet connection details in while it was in modem-router mode was just-in-case insurance).

I've also tested the DM200 in modem-router mode with the X6 configured not to try logging into the ISP, no dice there either.  The X6 doesn't list it as an attached device regardless of what mode it's in, and consequently doesn't seem to use it as a modem.

>  If your PPPoE credentials have moved from the DM111P to the R8000, is there any chance that you have some special characters in them which thr R8000 might be mishandling?

The only special character in there is an @ symbol.  So no.

Message 5 of 9
Zaha
Aspirant

Additional comment because someone's going to mention it...

I've performed all the steps indicated here: https://kb.netgear.com/20305/Manual-Configuration-of-a-Router-for-DSL-Internet-Service-with-a-Bridge...

On the final step where the KB article says to click connect and "You should have numbers on the IP address and internet should be working", clicking connect does not result in numbers appearing or internet working.

Message 6 of 9

In all of this complicated troubleshooting and configuring, you did go through that standard setup regime?

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 9
Zaha
Aspirant

I did that yes.

None of the computers are directly connected to the X6 either - they're all wirelessly connected.  There are no computers in the router room which makes the process a smidge more annoying to work through as well.

Message 8 of 9
Zaha
Aspirant

So to reiterate, none of the above has fixed the problem.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements