Re: Unable to connect to R7000 AC network

Kevasa
Aspirant

Unable to connect to R7000 AC network

I am unable to connect to the 5GHZ WiFi band when AC(up to 1300) is enabled. On current firmware(V1.0.9.34_10.2.36) If I change to N(up to 600), my devices can connect. I have performed 3 factory resets. I have reverted to a previous firmware(V1.0.9.32). I have held in the reset button for 30 seconds, removed the power, still holding for 30 seconds, then reapplied power. Still unable to connect any device to AC(up to 1300) setting. I didn't know Netgear reduced it's warranty to 6 months and you can't get any help beyond that point.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router,R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Did it ever work?

Are the devices AC?

Possible one device is causing problems? Have you tried connecting (that means power on and connecting to router) only a single device at a time?

Can you even see the SSID when set to 1300?

Message 2 of 8
Kevasa
Aspirant

It was working for about a year and a half without issue.

The 3 devices are all 802.11AC WiFi devices.

After all factory resets, I tried connecting only one device at a time, each device was tested once. At first, the SSID of the 5GHZ would not broadcast, even though it was not hidden. After reverting to the older firmware listed, the SSID would broadcast, but it would not allow any device to connect. I changed from AC to N and then they all connected.

I hope this helps the diagnosis.

Message 3 of 8
IrvSp
Master

I would suggest that after installing any update you reset the router. NG did have that requirement at some point in time. They have removed it from recent readme's, but some experience problems cleared in doing so. Must reenter all settings manually after doing that. Most reliable way to reset the router, on the ADVANCED tab on top, on the left Administration, Backup Settings, at the bottom, ERASE... press that. This can be done either before or after installing new f/w.

I'm just guessing, but the AC 1300 speed is either damaged in the router or possible the network adapter s/w needs to be updated. Many have made new versions for the newer versions of W10 for instance.

I'd try the full reset, and then reenter the settings, but only your wireless settings. See what happens. Works, start adding back in others that you had.

If the AC 1300 still fails,  I'd start changing channels. Could be interference? A program like Acrylic (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-f...) will show you what channels are in use near you. Find an empty area, switch to that. However, if 600 N speed works, I'd not think it would be that causing a problem, but worth a try as a test.

Message 4 of 8
Kevasa
Aspirant

I really appreciate your tips, most I have already done. I tried them again. I did a full factory reset and tried the stock settings. When AC was enabled, the password was rejected, when AC was disabled, the password was accepted, both stock SSID and password and custom SSID and password. I tried 4 different channels, did not change this experience. 5ghz networks are sparce in my neighborhood, there are only two others that were detected, not hard to choose an empty channel.

Message 5 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Is the problem on ALL AC devices or just one?

Are the AC Devices all the same?

Wondering if some underlying change in the OS requires new device drivers? Switching from AC speed to N speed also would have a different connection method from the device possibly, and hence why it works? I've seen  other reports here about not having AC speed working and in both they replaced either the h/w or drivers. If all are the same, I'd surely look into that.

BTW, what are the device network adapter make and model?

I've had NO problems on both an R7000 or R8000 with a NG USB A6200. Connects fine.

Not sure where you are, but in the US, 90 days is all the 'free' e-mail or phone support you get. After that, 1 year of RMA support with validation that you have a problem.

Message 6 of 8
Kevasa
Aspirant

All of the devices are 802.11AC devices.

I tried changing the channels. When I stayed in the 3 digit channel numbers, no SSID is displayed. When I change to the double digit channel numbers, the SSID displays, but I am unable to connect to the network, gives a failed password error. Again, when I disable AC, it connects without issue. This happens after I have reset one devices WiFi settings and the other two were tried with the exact same results.

Message 7 of 8
IrvSp
Master

It is possible you are looking at a device problem?

Look at this LINK for instance. Some channels are for specific widths... and I'm wondering if either the devices can't handle all those or the setting for 20/40Mhz Coexistence needs to be changed? That link however seems confusing as all channels are for everything?

What happens if you set them to AUTO?

I did find THIS, albeit over 3 years old... sort of points to the OS or device driver, and also the REGION the router is set for?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements