Re: Unable to connect to router (connection refused)

meloncholy
Aspirant

Unable to connect to router (connection refused)

I've just bought this router and have been unable to connect to it to finish setup. The process I have been through (a few times) is

- Reset the router to factory settings

- Connect to one of the WiFi networks (usually the 2.4GHz one, but also one of the 5GHz ones; I've also tried connecting via Ethernet)

- Check my assigned IP (192.168.1.2) and the router's IP (192.168.1.1) in network settings

- Ping the router (which works fine)

- Try to connect to the router login page at http://routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1 (fails, showing connection refused; this is not timing out)

Every time, the outcome is the same. I've tried on 3 devices (a MacBook, a Chromebook and an Android phone), so it seems unlikely it's a computer-specific problem. (The Mac has a firewall and AV running, though have disabled; the other 2 don't.) I did once get redirected to http://routerlogin.net/genie_index.htm, but am unable to reproduce this.

The results above are for the router running on its own, without an internet connection, in order to isolate a potential conflict with the existing modem / router. With the existing modem / router connected to the yellow internet port, it changes the router's IP to 10.0.0.1 and my IP to 10.0.0.2 to avoid conflict, but otherwise the outcome is the same.

I'm also unable to access the internet when the other modem / router is connected, though not sure if that is significant as I haven't managed to complete setup. The "internet" light on the router turns white in this case. 

I'm at something of a loss here, so if anyone has ideas as to what I've done wrong, I'd be most grateful!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

push reset until power LED flashes.....after it reboots about 3 minutes connect PC to LAN  port.....reboot PC...... after several minutes it should connect and open to a setup page.

If you get this far I'd suggest using AP Mode....Good Luck!

Message 2 of 12
meloncholy
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I've just done that -- and, unless I missed something, that's exactly what I did before, too -- but unfortunately I had the same "connection refused" problem.

Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

when you say connection refused that would suggest you tried to access router......I'm saying the connection should complete on it's own.....mine always did anyway

Pc should be set to DHCP   verify your PC has IP address..... should be 192.168.1.2

Message 4 of 12
meloncholy
Aspirant

For me it doesn't connect automatically I'm afraid. (In my browser? Otherwise I'm not sure what this means.)

On the IP front, to quote from my initial question here, the process I've been through is

- Check my assigned IP (192.168.1.2) and the router's IP (192.168.1.1) in network settings

- Ping the router (which works fine)

- Try to connect to the router login page at http://routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1 (fails, showing connection refused; this is not timing out

Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Some users have had problems with their anti virus blocking connections...Good Luck With it.

Message 6 of 12
meloncholy
Aspirant

OK, so to quote another part of my initial question

I've tried on 3 devices (a MacBook, a Chromebook and an Android phone), so it seems unlikely it's a computer-specific problem. (The Mac has a firewall and AV running, though have disabled; the other 2 don't.)

So I'm not convinced that's the issue here either, unfortunately.

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Contact support or return it. I have this router and it's not worth the hype. Until last week I used my R7000 and the r8000 sat in drawer. If my R8500 continues to reboot I'll be using the r7000 once again.

Message 8 of 12
meloncholy
Aspirant

Hm, doesn't sound that promising. Smiley Happy I'll contact support as you suggested.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm on with them now for last 53 min's................ exchange it.... It's not worth the headache......on hold music is way over modulated 

Message 10 of 12
Bornthor
Aspirant

DId anyone get this resolved? I'm having an issue, maybe the same one where I can't connect to admin internally or externally, but when I restart the router I can get in. I don't know how long it takes before it "blocks" admin but I did it last night and its now less than 12 hours later and I'm getting the same thing. Now I'm not home to restart the router, sadly.

Message 11 of 12
meloncholy
Aspirant

Yes, I did in the end. The problem seemed to be an incompatibility between my browser / computer (not sure which) and the router setup. I was using Chrome (with various plugins) on macOS, which failed. I tried again on a Chromebook (also Chrome, and I think the same plugins) and it worked. 

Before I figured this out, I replaced the router with a new one and had the same problem. 

I'm afraid I can't be more explicit re. configuration as it was a while ago.

This did appear to be a specific issue with setting up the router. I can now access the admin pages from my Mac with no issues, so sounds like your problem is a different one.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E