Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to get Nighthawk R7000 Router working with my new modem

Bernbaum
Aspirant

Unable to get Nighthawk R7000 Router working with my new modem

My last modem stopped working and my service provider replaced it with a Toto Link 300mBPS Wireless N ADSL Modem Router
Model No. ND300 (modem and wireless router). I am not able to get my Nighthawk R7000 to work with my new modem and would greatly appreciate any advice from the community to get both of these talking to one and other.  Needless to say I am no expert in the configuration of these and so why I am asking for your advice. I would assume that I should turn of the router portion of the new modem and put it in bridge mode but if this is right , I'm not sure how to do this.

Thanks for reading

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Bernbaum
Aspirant

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all of your help with this. I decided to contact Netgear support on this and it now appears to be working fine. When I upgraded the firmware re: latest security patch, I didn't reset the router and some residual information in my Netgear router was causing a conflict with my modem/router. Seems to have cleared up now.

May I say it's a great community and awesome to know how quickly you respond to help out a newbie.

It's greatly appreciated.

thanks

Bernbaum

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi Bernbaum,

1. Do you have connection from the modem?

2. Try to set the modem to bridge mode or set the R7000 to AP mode. Possible problem is the double Natting since you are using 2 routers.

Message 2 of 10
Bernbaum
Aspirant

Thanks I've been able to get it working with turning on bridge mode and turning off wireless on my modem. Other issue you might be able to help with is that we still randomnly get requests on various tablets, phones etc for authentication to router from misc sites?

Message 3 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@Bernbaum wrote:
Other issue you might be able to help with is that we still randomnly get requests on various tablets, phones etc for authentication to router from misc sites?

Explain further please? I don't understand? 'Sites'? Do you mean when browsing for those site? 'Authentication'??? Do you mean to log onto those sites or something else?

No matter what, unless it is to access the router then it doesn't sound like a router problem?

Message 4 of 10
Bernbaum
Aspirant

thanks for your help with this. What happens is that the Netgear router login window randomly appears on screen asking for the user and password authentication but instead of the text saying "http://routerlogin.net is requesting your username and password."

it will say "xxx.net or com is requesting your username and password" and xxx can vary.

I have yet to fill in the information as I'm wondering if some site is trying to capture my user and password information. Let me know if you need more information.  to date I've updated the firmare with R7000-V1.0.7.10_1.2.3.chk and have security on  and remote management off.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more and thanks

Bernie

Message 5 of 10
IrvSp
Master

That is ODD to say the least. Does it also happen when you enter 192.168.1.1 into the browser URL (assuming 192.168.1.1 is the gateway address for the router, if not use the IP Address the router is at)?

Have you tried clearing the Browser cache?

Is it possible you've got some malware on your PC? Have you run some Malware scans?

Since you have REMOTE MANAGEMENT off even if someone got your data I don't think it would do much good unless they could connect to your LAN? Have you checked the ATTACHED DEVICES and know what all of them are and are legitimate?

Capture a few screenshots of the strange requests and post them please, I'd like to see a few.

Message 6 of 10
Bernbaum
Aspirant

Again thanks as I truly appreciate the help. Happened again on my phone last night and so I wrote down what was on the screen. Next time i will try to capture the screen. Easy on the PC although I will need to figure out how to do that on the phone or tablet.

The screen again shows the Netgear logon window with the following text.

Sign in to www.google.ca:801 "NETGEAR R70002"

NAME

PASSWORD

CANCEL    SIGN ON

If I select CANCEL, I then get Netgear Genie appearing on screen.

This randomnly appears on various devices and the "google.ca" can vary and be a different site.

I believe my router's address has defaulted to 10.0.0.1  as my modem uses 192.168.1.1

Normally could access my router using http://routerlogin.net but when I do it just defaults to Genie and password recovery

Message 7 of 10
IrvSp
Master

Might not be a problem? You using the Google DNS's? If so, might just be a delay and that shows up.

iPad's and I assume iPhones capture the screen to the Camera roll by holding down the 'off' button and the Home button at the same time. The screen flashes and the output is then in the camera roll.

If you enter 10.0.0.1 in the browser URL you'll get to the router home page as well.

"Normally could access my router using http://routerlogin.net but when I do it just defaults to Genie and password recovery"

It must be going to the wrong place or when you do cancel, that is normal for the R7000 to go into P/W recovery mode.

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

The R7000's internet port is connected to one of the modem/gateway's LAN port?  And has a 192.168.1.x address?

Can you confirm that the R7000's LAN address is set to 10.0.0.1?

Message 9 of 10
Bernbaum
Aspirant

Just wanted to say a big thanks to all of your help with this. I decided to contact Netgear support on this and it now appears to be working fine. When I upgraded the firmware re: latest security patch, I didn't reset the router and some residual information in my Netgear router was causing a conflict with my modem/router. Seems to have cleared up now.

May I say it's a great community and awesome to know how quickly you respond to help out a newbie.

It's greatly appreciated.

thanks

Bernbaum

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7