Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to install update for R7000

sanchell
Aspirant

Unable to install update for R7000

Greetings, Netgear Community!

I am using a Nighthawk R7000 route with firmware version R7000-V1.0.11.126_10.2.112.

On the netgear site is says the latest firmware version is R7000-V1.0.11.136_10.2.120.

Using the Nighthawk WiFi app on my iPhone I go to check for updates and after a brief pause it reads No new firmware is available at this time.

Does anyone know why it will not update to the new version?

Thank you.

SA

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Jumzes
Aspirant

Re: Unable to install update for R7000

the router has administration panel which is accesible at

routerlogin.net
or
routerlogin.com

under advanced section you will be able to find sub-section to update your firmware manually
then you download it from netgear website, unpack it and push that unpacked main file through the website mentioned above
router will update and reboot itself

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using a wired PC and web browser and download the FW file to the PC, unpack the .zip file and send the unpacked FW file to the routers web page update feature there. 

Message 2 of 10
sanchell
Aspirant

Thank you for your response, Furrye38.

All of my computers are on the same LAN using ethernet cables terminating in the R7000.

I already downloaded the .zip file from Netgear. I could not find instructions from Netgear how to install it. I also don't know what you mean when you write "send the unpacked FW file to the routers web page update feature there." The routers web page? Do you mean the Netgear web page I downloaded the FW from? Does the router have its own dedicated web page that I don't know about?

Message 3 of 10
Jumzes
Aspirant

the router has administration panel which is accesible at

routerlogin.net
or
routerlogin.com

under advanced section you will be able to find sub-section to update your firmware manually
then you download it from netgear website, unpack it and push that unpacked main file through the website mentioned above
router will update and reboot itself

Message 4 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@sanchell wrote:

Thank you for your response, Furrye38.

All of my computers are on the same LAN using ethernet cables terminating in the R7000.

I already downloaded the .zip file from Netgear. I could not find instructions from Netgear how to install it. I also don't know what you mean when you write "send the unpacked FW file to the routers web page update feature there." The routers web page? Do you mean the Netgear web page I downloaded the FW from? Does the router have its own dedicated web page that I don't know about?

You can find the written instructions here:  https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router 

Historically the automatic update files are not available on the servers for several weeks/months after they are released and available for manual update.  Manual update is the preferred method if you want to have successful results.

Message 5 of 10
sanchell
Aspirant

Thank you, Jumzes and Furrye38! You are both geniuses. Furrye38 got the ball rolling and Jumzes kicked it into the goal. The FW is updated and life is good.

Message 6 of 10
sanchell
Aspirant

Just saw your reply, Kitsap. Thank you for the info link.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 10
sanchell
Aspirant

Great advice. I will do that this morning. Thank you. SA

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 10