Re: Unable to login to netgear genie for kindle fire on R7000P router

Unable to login to netgear genie for kindle fire on R7000P router

I am unable to login to Netgear genie for the kindle fire to access my new R7000P router. The software says I'm using the wrong password, which I'm not as it works through the web login.

The router is working fine with internet access. I am able to access the router via the web login, but not the kindle genie app. Kindle genie app version is 2.1.51 from the Amazon app store. The R7000P firmware is 1.3.1.44_10.1.23.

I've tried resetting to factory settings and then accessing via the kindle app but it made no difference.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 26
myersw
Master

Why would want want to do this. Open a browser on a PC and go to routers IP address, typically 192.168.1.1 and configure from there. Much less frustrating.  

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 26

@myersw wrote:

Open a browser on a PC and go to routers IP address, typically 192.168.1.1 and configure from there.

Not everyone owns a PC, so they can also try the same process using a browser in their mobile devices.

First connect to the wifi and then use the browser to get at the router.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 26
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@myersw wrote:

Open a browser on a PC and go to routers IP address, typically 192.168.1.1 and configure from there.

Not everyone owns a PC, so they can also try the same process using a browser in their mobile devices.

First connect to the wifi and then use the browser to get at the router.

@michaelkenward

I do like your suggestion to use a browser on the the mobile device instead of the app. Good suggestion and feel a little dumb not thinking of that. 

Agree that not all have a PC anymore. I just hate to see folks going down the tubes with the less then stellar apps on mobile devices and seemingly winding up with a "bricked" router needing to do tftp to get life breathed back into it. Of course without the PC you are not going to do tftp. Maybe more bricked routers will showup on Ebay. Smiley Wink

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 26

Thanks for the replies. I'm aware that I could use a laptop and that I can use either the laptop or kindle and login in via the web IP address. However the kindle has a Genie App and as I can't login to the router via the App I can only use half of the App's functions. It would be much easier if the genie app worked correctly like it should do! I have seen many posts on this community about software/firmware issues causing login problems with the Genie Apps. As I've only recently purchased this router i'm a bit annoyed that Netgear's supporting software doesn't work as is it should!!!!

Message 5 of 26
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to use the Nighthawk app instead of the genie app?

DarrenM

Message 6 of 26

Darren, thanks for the reply.

Tried nighthawk app as you recommend. It loads and straight away says 'wrong WiFi hotspot, Netgear router detected, please used Netgear genie'.

So not much help I'm affraid.

Message 7 of 26

@Grahamwagstaff wrote:

It loads and straight away says 'wrong WiFi hotspot, Netgear router detected, please used Netgear genie'.

This may sound like a silly question, but bear with me, it could be important.

What is the modem in front of this R7000P? The make and model number?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 26

Michael,

My modem is a Virgin Media Super hub 2 made by Netgear, model VMDG485.

Message 9 of 26

@Grahamwagstaff wrote:

That looks suspiciously like a modem/router. (Does it have a row of LAN ports on the back?) If so, it means that you have put two routers on your network.

That can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with competing DHCP servers and local address conflicts. Among other things, this can mean that trying to get at addresses like routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1, gets misdirected by the other router.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Sometimes it is possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply customers with a modem/router that just won't work in bridge mode.

There may be ways to get the device to cooperate, but sometimes it is just easier to put the second router in AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

Message 10 of 26
schumaku
Guru

@Grahamwagstaff wrote:

Tried nighthawk app as you recommend. It loads and straight away says 'wrong WiFi hotspot, Netgear router detected, please used Netgear genie'.

This reads like a Netgear Mobile App message, not a Netgear Nighthawk App message.

Can't find the Netgear Nighthawk App in the Amazon App Store btw. @DarrenM

no Nightawk App in the Amapzon App Store.PNG

Message 11 of 26

@schumaku wrote:

@Grahamwagstaff wrote:

This reads like a Netgear Mobile App message, not a Netgear Nighthawk App message.

Can't find the Netgear Nighthawk App in the Amazon App Store btw. @DarrenM

no Nightawk App in the Amapzon App Store.PNG

My appologies, this was indeed the mobile app not the Nighthawk app. Also, you are correct, the nighthawk app is not available on the kindle app store. I can not install it from the Google play app either dispute having Google play installed on my kindle.

Message 12 of 26

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Grahamwagstaff wrote:

That looks suspiciously like a modem/router. (Does it have a row of LAN ports on the back?) If so, it means that you have put two routers on your network.

That can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with competing DHCP servers and local address conflicts. Among other things, this can mean that trying to get at addresses like routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1, gets misdirected by the other router.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Sometimes it is possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply customers with a modem/router that just won't work in bridge mode.

There may be ways to get the device to cooperate, but sometimes it is just easier to put the second router in AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

• Apologises, I should have stated that I have set the virgin super hub 2 to modem mode already. The virgin super hub 2 is indeed a cable modem router (with 4x x LAN ports). Am I correct to assume that as I have the virgin super hub 2 in modem only mode the problem you explained should therefore not be an issue?
  • With the virgin super hub 2 in modem mode the setup admin menu IP address becomes 192.168.100.1. I assume that this shouldn't conflict with the nighthawk admin IP 192.168.1.1. It would appear not to as when I use the nighthawk IP (192.168.1.1) I access the nighthawk admin page, and when I use the virgin super hub 2 UP (192.168.100.1) I access the super hub admin page.
  • If all this is not a problem and I can't use the nightgown app as it's not available on the kindle, then I guess we're back to the original issue, why can't I login to the Genie kindle app?
Message 13 of 26

@Grahamwagstaff wrote:
Apologises, I should have stated that I have set the virgin super hub 2 to modem mode already. The virgin super hub 2 is indeed a cable modem router (with 4x x LAN ports). Am I correct to assume that as I have the virgin super hub 2 in modem only mode the problem you explained should therefore not be an issue?

It always helps to have full information.

The question is, how did you put the thing into modem only mode? Contrary to what some people think when they come here, it is not simply a case of turning off the wifi.

That looks like an old modem/router. It may predate the time when Netgear made it a straightforward task to turn off the router bit.

Just another user.

Message 14 of 26
myersw
Master

If the modem/router is in bridge mode then you are correct. You would only have one router then, the r7000p. So things at that point should work. 

I personally do not like using apps like Nighthawk on my mobile devices. I prefer to use browsers. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 15 of 26

Bill thanks for the reply. Since you replied I edited my last post, but it would appear that what you said is correct. As I stated previously I can access via a web browser ( 'Silk Browser' in the case of the kindle), it's just annoying that the app doesn't work correctly and you have to swap from app to browser for the different features you what to use/adjust.The

It still appears therefore that the kindle Netgear genie app does not work correctly and Netgear need to address this issue - please!

Message 16 of 26

@Grahamwagstaff wrote:

It still appears therefore that the kindle Netgear genie app does not work correctly and Netgear need to address this issue - please!

If this was a widespread phenomenon, with thousands of victims, we would have heard about it here. As it is, many "genie does not work" queries turn out to be down to set-up issues at the user end, something that you have yet to rule out.

I have had no problems with these apps, but, as other say, I consider them to be toys that really are not up tot the job in hand.

Just another user.

Message 17 of 26

Again my apologies for the previous lack of info. In the admin page for the virgin super hub 2 there is the clearly defined option to set the device to modem only mode. The device states that when modem mode is set this de-activates all of the router settings and turns off all but one LAN port. This remaining LAN port is the port you have to use to connect to the new router - my new nighthawk R7000P.

Message 18 of 26

Sounds like you have it covered. Nice to see that they have that option. BT's modems go, out of their way to prevent modem-only mode.

One other thought, albeit grasping in the dark, is to reset the whole network and start from scratch.

When you replace a modem, it is usually a good idea to factory reset the router so that it forgets any configuration settings that came from connecting to the old modem.

It might be worth resetting the modem as well. (Then put it into model only mode, of course.)

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Just another user.

Message 19 of 26

Ok tried the factory resets, still the same issue. Loaded the nighthawk app on my wife's iPhone and I am able to login to the router fine. Still unable to login from the kindle. The genie app on the kindle app store appears to be an older version. Do Netgear have any plans to release new versions of the Genie app or the nighthawk app on the Amazon app store?

Message 20 of 26

@Grahamwagstaff wrote:

Do Netgear have any plans to release new versions of the Genie app or the nighthawk app on the Amazon app store?

Who knows? It sounds like Amazon has done something to the Kindle that breaks Android stuff.

It is really down to Amazon to come up with a system that accepts standard Android apps without the writers having to tailor them for different platforms.

Even Android eventually develops to the point where old devices get "orphaned". My Nexus tablet, from Google, has a hard time keeping up with things, while a newer Samsung phone sails through.

Just another user.

Message 21 of 26
myersw
Master

You can sideload apps on the Kindle. Do a google search and will will see how. Problem could be finding the apk file for the app. Since I had an Android tablet, still functional just not fast enough anymore, I could install the app on it and get the apk that way. Some apps you can find the apk file on line. Just be careful of the site.  

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 22 of 26

Problem solved!!

Found the nighthawk (ver 2.2.9.495) and Genie (ver 31.6.2) APK app files online and side loaded them on to my kindle as you suggested. Both app now working perfectly.😊 Not sure if these are the latest versions but they work fine.

The problem therefore was the Genie app version on the Amazon app store is out of date.

Many thanks to all for your helpful replies.

Message 23 of 26
myersw
Master

@Grahamwagstaff

Glad you got it working. Side loading is not hard after you get things setup initially. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 24 of 26

@Grahamwagstaff wrote:

Problem solved!!

Found the nighthawk (ver 2.2.9.495) and Genie (ver 31.6.2) APK app files online

They are the latest as far as I can see.

Just another user.

Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements