Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to reach Router using IP from one PC however can reach from another PC.

Zapatta
Aspirant

Unable to reach Router using IP from one PC however can reach from another PC.

I have gone through all other posts related to this topic and believe me this is a unique situation.

I am failry good at troubleshooting these things in the past and when i am unable to do myslef i am pretty good at searching for a solution. But this thing has stumped me for the past month and am forced to ask it here.

Here it goes.

I recently upgraded my Netgear Router and went through the following steps.

I use wired connection througout the process.

1. Logged in to the old Netgear Router from PC-1 (Windows 7) and Reset the Router to factory setting.

2. Connected the new Netgear Router and attached PC-2 (Windows 8 - Laptop) using Ethernet and configured everything.

3. Tried to access Internet using both PC-1 and PC-2 post setup and everything is great.

4. Used Wifi to connect to the Router from my PC-2 and am able to access the router home page using (192.168.1.1).

5. Tried reaching the router from PC-1 using IP an keep getting "This site can’t be reached - the connection was reset". 

I have treid all the tricks and solutions. I dont have firewall on PC-1 restricting access to this IP.

Also i have no problem reaching any websites from this PC-1. 

The ipconfig shows default gateway as 192.168.1.1.

Checked the Firewall and even disabled the firewall.

Is there a way to figure out where is this connection getting reset from?

During all this I can still acess the router homepage using the Laptop, PC-2 described above, so the router did not change its IP post configuration as suggested by someone in another post.

Anyone knows whats wrong here?

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Zapatta
Aspirant

Re: Unable to reach Router using IP from one PC however can reach from another PC.

I had my suspisions with Kaspersky and thought that disabling the protection or the Firewall should eliminate that aspect.

But after looking at Kaspersky forums regarding this topic it seems like this is a fairly common problem which Karspersky.

And amazingly the solution is to uninstall Kaspeersky then connect to the router and reinstall Kaspersky.

As this kinda thing involves rebooting the PC atleast 2 times i am going to do this over the next weekend.

Reminds me one of Spocks memorable quotes.

"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth".

Will update after the moment of truth next weekend.

Thanks you guys, you are all awesome.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: Unable to reach Router using IP from one PC however can reach from another PC.

Are you sure you don't have an Internet security program running on PC-1 (e.g. Kaspersky, Norton, Symantec, etc.)?

Have you designated the network as private on PC-1?

Message 2 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Try a different BROWSER. Maybe the CACHE needs to be cleaned out of the one you are using?

Try a PING to the ROUTER too. See what happens.

Check you network settings. Maybe it is trying to use a different DNS?

Message 3 of 8
Zapatta
Aspirant

I indeed have Kaspersky running on PC-1 and so it is on PC-2.

I have checked the Firewall setting and I dont think it is the culprit.

I have anyways tried by pausing the protection and disabling the Firewall and its still a no go.

The other point you say is interesting. But how do i even designate a network as private? You can select one of "Home/Work/Public". 

I have it set as a Home Network which is the right way.

To answer irvSP, I have tried all these things.

1. Tries using three different browsers (chrome, firefox, IE)

2. Cleared cache on all the browsers, still no go.

3. none of the browsers are using proxy.

4. done all those things that those customer service people ask you to do usually in such cases. Shutdown every damn thing in your home and restart everything in order.

5. Tried pining and the ping works, i am getting the reply. which makes it even more puzzling.

6. DNS is pointing to the Router IP address. Anyway if was pointing to something else then i wont be able to access anything on internet. 

Everything seems to be fine and i am able to reach anywhere in the world accept the damn router which ironically is making all that possible in the forst place.

Is it possbile there is some Virus in PC-1 whose only purpose is to mess up with my head. Its only purpose being not to let me access the router.

I am going to install wireshark and check what exactly is going on here.

Please if anyone has any other trick or clue keep it coming. really appreciate your help.

Message 4 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Kaspersky is blocking access to your router.  Trust me.  It's happened to many others on this forum.

Uninstall Kaspersky.  "Disabling" it doesn't work.  You must completely uninstall it.  You should, then, be able to log into the router.  You can re-install Kaspersky at this point.  There may be less drastic methods but this one always works.

"Home" is private, so you're good, there.

Message 5 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Wonder if it is as simple as Kaspersky isn't trusting the network's IP Address? OP said it worked with another network, suppose that network had an address that was different? Not familiar with Kaspersky, but with Norton and McAfee I know you can trust any network and range of IP Addresses and they seem to automagically trust the network when installed. Should be easy to check what is the trusted network though? If it is wrong, change it, and see if all is OK then?

Message 6 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Probably.  Just Google kaspersky router login and several threads will pop up at Kaspersky's forums.  These two look interesting (12).  Netgear also has an article about Kaspersky (link), but I've never seen it help anyone.  I have, however, seen several people helped with uninstalling the whole program.

Message 7 of 8
Zapatta
Aspirant

I had my suspisions with Kaspersky and thought that disabling the protection or the Firewall should eliminate that aspect.

But after looking at Kaspersky forums regarding this topic it seems like this is a fairly common problem which Karspersky.

And amazingly the solution is to uninstall Kaspeersky then connect to the router and reinstall Kaspersky.

As this kinda thing involves rebooting the PC atleast 2 times i am going to do this over the next weekend.

Reminds me one of Spocks memorable quotes.

"Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth".

Will update after the moment of truth next weekend.

Thanks you guys, you are all awesome.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7