Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to rename attached device name

Unable to rename attached device name

After router update (v1.0.9.34_10.2.36), it is not possible to rename attached devices and its type (mobile, computer, etc) in the administration tab. In some cases, when I select a device in the attached device menu and when I select 'edit', weird characters are displayed as device name. If I dont change its type, QoS will have no effect. Does anyone is facing the same problem? My R7000 is set as router.

Picture1.png

ps, someone keeps renaming the title to 'Device Name not displayed in Administration Logs', but that is not right! My problem is not with logs, but with attached device name in the administration tap!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions

They fix it on versio V1.0.9.58_10.2.58!!!!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 27

All Replies

Have the same router and running the same FW. Have owned this router about 3 yrs. I don't ever recall being able to specify/edit the "Device Type" in the GUI with any FW version.  You can do so in Genie, but not the router.  I can edit the "names" of my devies in 3 areas.  IP Reservation by MAC, Attached Devices and Access Control.  I use all 3.  If you have a screen shot where you are able to specify the device type, I'd like to see it. 

Message 2 of 27

Shadowsports, you will only be able to change the attached device type if QoS is set as ON (Advanced > Setup > QoS > Enable QoS) on your router. Then, you can establish data transmission priorities by setting the device type and its priority as shown in the picture below:

Picture1.png

Message 3 of 27
DontBlink
Tutor

I am bumping this insteading of creating a new thread since it isn't too old. 

I am having this same problem. Even when I change the names, they revert back and do not apply. This never happened before .34. Is this some how related to the changes made to Dynamic QOS? 

Even when I change the names in the Nighthawk app, the names and device types revert back and do not apply. 

Message 4 of 27
Jameson746
Tutor

I just updated to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 on my R7000 and it's still doing the same thing.

Did all of the normal.  Hard and factory resets.  Tried renaming devices from computer (safari), NetGeini app, Nighthawk app... all same same.  

Message 5 of 27
DontBlink
Tutor

Step1: What QOS is showing on Router

First.PNG

Step2: What shows in the QOS screen when editing information. This is a Windows PC:
Second.PNGStep 3: What Shows after editing the information:

Third.PNG

Step 4: What happens when QOS screen is refreshed:

Fourth.PNG

It reverts back and lists my PC as low priority while I am running MMO in backgroud. Gaming packets should have high precedence. 

Message 6 of 27

That is exactly what is happening with my router! Is there any way we can report it? It is so frustrating! 

I hope they fix it as soon as possible. 

Message 7 of 27
kjag93
Guide

Also still having this issue after updating to 1.0.9.42

Message 8 of 27

They fix it on versio V1.0.9.58_10.2.58!!!!

Message 9 of 27
Jameson746
Tutor

I’m not seeing V1.0.9.58_10.2.58 as an available update.
Message 10 of 27

Jameson, that is weird! I saw an update firmware version available three days ago and I updated my router. However, I opened Netgear website today and for some reason they dropped that version. As you can see in Netgear UI, my router has a newer version:

Netgear.png

Message 11 of 27

Jameson, that is weird! I saw an update firmware version available three days ago and I updated my router. However, I opened Netgear website today and for some reason they dropped that version. As you can see in Netgear UI, my router has a newer version:

Netgear.png

Message 12 of 27
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

there was a issue with that firmware and it was taken down it is suggested to roll back firmware versions if you are experiencing issues.

DarrenM

Message 13 of 27
Jameson746
Tutor

1.0.9.60 was released today.  Same problem.  Cannot rename or re-class attached devices.  Tried all of the different ways to do it.  

Message 14 of 27
shamarin
Virtuoso

@Jameson746 where did you found 1.0.9.60? On support page still we can found only 1.0.9.42 that is buggy, 1.0.9.58 was removed from support page, but in 1.0.9.58 version bug with rename of attached devices is fixed. Wow, just checked router updater and it found this version, but it doesn't present on support page, strange.

Message 15 of 27
Jameson746
Tutor

It was available as an update through the Netgear app.
Message 16 of 27
irishfl
Initiate

I am still experiencing this issue even after installing firmware V1.0.9.60_10.2.60

Message 17 of 27
irishfl
Initiate

Does it make anyone a little nervous that Netgear can't fix a simple device label bug that's been around for months/years?  Makes me think their code is spaghetti.

Message 18 of 27
kjag93
Guide

I managed to get .58 before it was pulled. Didn't work initially but after a full reset with the button on the back of the router the naming issue did seem to be fixed. Updated to .60 and it still seems to be working. Try doing a reset and see if that fixes it.

Message 19 of 27

This is annoying and frustrating! It is not a matter of not changing the device label only but If the router does not recognize the device type, Quality of Service (QoS) will not work at all. I have been waiting for this issue to be fixed for months! I updated my router before NetGear dropped 1.0.9.58_10.2.58 version. In addition, this issue with the device label is messing me up! Since the new release (.60) is not available on the NetGear portal (only through device update firmware function), we can not be sure about the changes they made with this "new version".

Message 20 of 27
shamarin
Virtuoso

1.0.9.60 is now available on Netgear portal with changelog. It's the same as 1.0.9.58 with additional fixes to Wi-Fi performance.
Message 21 of 27
kjag93
Guide

It's always been kinda hit or miss with automatically recognising device type but with the update  we can once again manually rename devices, change the deivce type and the QoS priority and those changes seem to now actually save.

Message 22 of 27
pashpe
Aspirant

The ability to rename devices doesn't work in version V1.0.9.60_10.2.60, or I have something not configured, or I don't know how to change the device names.  The router goes through the motions, but when all is done, the name of the device is as it was.  QOS is enabled.  I was able to name the devices prior to this update from what I believe was .42.

Message 23 of 27
MargeE
Aspirant

I am also having this same problem.  Nighthawk R7000, FW 1.0.9.60_10.2.60.  Any update in sight?

Message 24 of 27
lordbah
Tutor

Same issue - R7000 V1.0.9.60_10.2.60  edits to device name in Basic / Attached Devices / Edit don't stick. However in Advanced / Setup / LAN Setup / Address Reservation / Add, I can enter a Device Name, and that does stick and is displayed on Basic / Attached Devices.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7