Highlighted
Aspirant

Unable to see connections

I just added a nighthawk r8000 to our network. The problem is that I have two laptops and one of them can see all the connections (six of them) and one laptop can only see two of them. This is also the case for some of our cell phones and tablets. Some devices can see all the connections and some can only see 1 or 2. Can any one help me with that?
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Unable to see connections

Hello lonniejohnson,
Other connection? are you talking about other wifi networks?
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Mentor

lonniejohnson wrote:
I just added a nighthawk r8000 to our network.

You said you added, which suggests that there was an existing network, possibly already with a router and you added a second router - depending on how that R8000 is connected & configured it will break the networks into segments which can prevent computers from seeing one another.

You need to tell us how the pieces fit together.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Sorry for not being clear. My background is in computer programming and because of that I have been deemed the IT guy for my church.

Let me attempt to be more clear. We have a router that distributes internet to our LAN and to our Wifi. It is served by a T1. The Nighthawk is the device I just installed which we are using for our wireless services. I have three wireless connections all of which I am allowing the SSIDs to be broadcast. Also there are three guest networks that I am allowing to be broadcast with no password required.

Of these six wireless networks my DELL laptop can see all six. My iPhone can see all six. Some laptops and phones can only see one of the secured SSIDs and one of the guest networks. Of the devices that can only see two, they are consistent in the two that they can see but I can see no difference in any of the connects other than channels.

Any help would be appreciated. p.s. I did not respond because I did not get an email notifying me that someone had answered. I will try and fix that.
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Novice

It sounds like some devices can see 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals and some only see 2.4GHz signals. The 2.4GHz standard is older so it will have the broadest compatibility. The router has 1 x 2.4GHz radio and 2 x 5GHz radios. Each radio supports a regular network and a guest network. If the SSIDs that show up on the devices that only see 2 of them are configured on the 2.4GHz radio then everything is likely working fine, you are just limited by the wireless adapters in those devices.

On the router configuration page you can check the frequency on the Basic tab under Wireless and Guest Network. Look for Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n) or Wireless Network (5GHz a/n/ac) above the SSID. The same settings on the Advanced tab are under Setup > Wireless Settings and Setup > Guest Network

If that is the problem and you need laptops to see all the available connections or if they will benefit from the speeds supported on the 5GHz radios you may be able to upgrade the internal adapters or add external USB wireless adapters that support 2.4GHz and 5GHz (dual-band) connections.
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response Thoice. I will try that tomorrow when I am back in the building. I will let you know how that works.
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hey lonniejohnson,

Thoice is right. Some devices may only see certain SSID because of the wireless card within them. I recently got a R7000 for my PS3. I was hoping to see the 5G wireless network from downstairs. The PS3 couldn't see the 5G network but other devices in my house were able to see and access the 5G network. Needless to say I figured it out 20 mins later. My PS3 didn't have the right wireless card to access the 5G network. So I ended up running a wire the downstairs to the PS3. problem fixed
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you both. I think you have hit the nail on the head. The SSIDs that are being received by all are the 2.4 GHz b/g/n.

I may have to rename them.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements