• 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Tutor

Unable to set R8000 into tftp recovery mode

After a manual firmware flash gone wrong, my router's wifi/ethernet isnt working, but I can still (somehow) sign into the netgear GUI. It wont accept any firmware updates through the GUI so I want to set up a tftp connection with the router, but the instructions here (https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP) are not working. When I try to set the router up so that it's listening for the tftp (the blinking green light mode), it instead just keeps resetting normally.

Is there a specific way to put the R8000 model into that state or does it only work if the router's bricked?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Unable to set R8000 into tftp recovery mode

I found a couple of site for your review:

http://www.ianthurston.com/tech/bricked-netgear-r8000-recovery/

https://khomenko.org/?p=412

Let us know if any of this information help to recover the router...

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>RBK853 v3.1.15.32(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks FURRYe38. I don't own the equipment necessary for the first method, but I tried the method outlined in the second link and got the same problem. I get a tftp client ready, I only have one ethernet connection set in LAN 4 (no other connections), I set the static ip as listed, I open a terminal with a continuous ping with a solid response, then I turn off the power, hold down the reset button, turn it back on while continuing to hold the reset button, and then the router never enters a state where it is listening for the tftp connection. It just cycles through resetting over and over again. I've held it down for several minutes and it never changes. Since I can still access the GUI, is it possible to force it to update its firmware that way? When I try to get it to update (or backup), it says that it's the wrong firmware (and I've tried the official firmware, dd-wrt, tomato, and openwrt). Either way, if I can just get it to accept a firmware update, I'm confident it will solve the issue.
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Master

The usb to serial is cheap but a old computer could help you out as most had a 9 pin serial on the back. The usb cable is a serial port's adaptor, is modern version of the serial port not sure what version of windows if windows you have the newer versions of windows lack a terminal program but one can be downloaded if needed.

Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Tutor

Yeah the cable is cheap, and if it comes to it I'll have to go ahead with it. Ultimately though, due to the nature of having to properly take apart/put back the router, the time it will take for the cable to arrive, and the very real possibility of just making it worse by doing the serial console wrong, of which I have no experience, I'd like to leave that as a last resort. The router not listening for the tftp connection just seems like such a minor and strange behavior that there has to be a reasonable fix for it, especially since it is relatively operational.
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Master

Check with a few computer shops in your they may know someone who does this level of router repair form the sound of it you have a rock now not much to lose if it gives you problems.

One last reset option is the 30-30-30 reset if it works it will clear any setting you have in the router nvram if this works you will end up with a factory fresh settings on your router.

Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Guru

Possible that the NVRAM section is corrupt and no fixable. 

Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Tutor

Gotcha. Well in that case I will attempt the serial connection then if it really is in the rough of shape, (as well as the hard reset).
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Guru

Hope you might get it working. Let us know the results.

Message 9 of 9