Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to update R7200 Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img

tehmadflip
Aspirant

Unable to update R7200 Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img

I have downloaded a VPN .chk file and attempted to upload it to my router (nighthawk R7200 AC2100) and encounter the error "Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img"
Any support is appreciated.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Unable to update R7200 Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img

Express vpn only supports 4x netgear router with third party firmware. Thats the R6300v2, R6700v3, R7000, R7000P. 

It doesn't support the R7200 and you won't find support for third party firmware on the official support site. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Re: Unable to update R7200 Please assign the correct file.the file format is *.img

A VPN *.chk file? This is not a supported firmware file and I have no idea where you got it from.

Supported firmware files for the R7200 are in *.img format. *.chk is usually only for Qualcomm-based devices. The R7200 is Broadcom-based

Message 2 of 5
tehmadflip
Aspirant

I downloaded the firmware from expressVPN. The files appear as *.chk. I also find other nighthawk routers that use the .chk file format. Is it specifically this router that only takes .img files?

Message 3 of 5
microchip8
Master

If the firmware says you have to provide it an *.img file, then you need such a file. Can't force-feed it an incompatible *.chk file. If you do, you'll brick your router

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Express vpn only supports 4x netgear router with third party firmware. Thats the R6300v2, R6700v3, R7000, R7000P. 

It doesn't support the R7200 and you won't find support for third party firmware on the official support site. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7