Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to update firmware to V1.4.1.68_1.3.28 on R7960P-NAS100

Berkey99
Tutor

Unable to update firmware to V1.4.1.68_1.3.28 on R7960P-NAS100

Windows 10

Microsoft Edge Browser (Version 89.0.774.63 (Official build) (64-bit))

Nighthawk X6S AC3600 MU-MIMO Smart Wi-Fi Router (Model R7960P-100NAS)

I logged into the router from my PC via wifi successfully. Once logged in I tried to update the router's firmware using both methods allowed: from a downloaded file and automatically. The router uploads/downloads the firmware, V1.4.1.68_1.3.28, reports it is loading the new firmware and reboots. It then prompts me to login again, however, the firmware version displayed (V1.4.1.50_1.3.10) is still the old one. The firmware has not been updated and the router reports that a new firmware version is available. What am I doing wrong?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Derck1
Aspirant

I'm new to this thread/help session, but going through the items...seems i'm NOT alone.   Going through the update process....says update successful, goes through other steps and completes normally..   go back at look at firmware status....and says i'm still at the same firmwhere level i was when i started(1.4.1.44.1.3.5    , with the NEW avail version still listed (1.4.1.68._1.3.28)   have been trying to resolve this for a cpl months now.    Dates on the entries seems others have been fighting same problem.   And, being new to this....i cant find any resolutions listed.    Anybody have any 'fixes' available to resolve yet, or know where i can find??   

Message 2 of 11
brenflen
Tutor

I have the same issue, with the same router (Netgear NightHawk R7960P), trying to update from V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 to 1.4.1.68_1.3.28.

I also have a Netgear CM1100 modem.

1. Tried via NightHawk app, failed.
  2. Logged into RouterLogin.net and used the Firmware Update Assistant, failed with the message "Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server."
  3. Googled for a solution and downloaded the .zip file. Unzipped, plugged my computer directly into ethernet, and uploaded the .chk file. The system rebooted and prompted me to login again. Same firmware version as it was.

Looks like this is a common issue and there's no way I'm buying "premium" support for a failed firmware update, especially when I am doing everything correctly according to their documentation.

Message 3 of 11
Berkey99
Tutor

I agree. This is the last Netgear device I will ever buy. They obviously have a bug and expect me to pay for their mistake.
Message 4 of 11
brenflen
Tutor

And their support page is broken every time I check too. Good thing I bought it at Costco, it will be a hassle free return.

Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 11
Berkey99
Tutor

I bought mine at Costco as well. Do you know if there is a time limit on Costco returns when the manufacturer fails to support their product?
Message 6 of 11
Berkey99
Tutor

Sorry, your link took me to a utility bill online portal in Packistan.
Message 7 of 11

Guys,

You need to take these devices back to Costco as defective.  There is no upgrade path.  This is a ongoing issue and for those who discovered it after their warranty expired, have no recourse though Netgear.  Its a sad truth.  While I do own one of the "affected" models, mine upgraded to 1.4.1.68 without issue. 

Techincally they (Netgear) should honor warrant and replace them, but they won't.  My advice, get a replacement or another model, one that allows upgrade beyond 1.4.1.50 or model that uses a different FW all together.

Initially there was only a small number of users who had the issue, this has since expanded.  While I'm not following it closely any longer, I do know that all avenues for upgrade:

Nighthawk App

Autocheck and update

Manual update

TFTP reflash all failed

It appears that the FW update is incompatible with certain hardware revisions, but in some cases there is only one revision llisted for a model.  Netgear is not admitting fault and no one except them knows what the actual story is.  You aren't going to get help if you are beyond your 1 yr warranty period.

So don't waste any more time on it.  Get it replaced and move on.  Consider yourself lucky for buying from a retailer with the excellent return policy. 

Message 8 of 11
brenflen
Tutor

Thanks @shadowsports, I have wasted my time in this process and I am returning to Costco since they provided an extended warranty at the time of purchase. And you know what? They'd probably take it back, even with an expired extended warranty, because it's a good company who cares about customer satisfaction.

Here is my experience from Netgear support for those interested:

After commenting on this thread I received a private message: "We truly appreciate your patience as we work to resolve the firmware not upgrading with your R7960p/R8000P. As a valued member of the NETGEAR family, we will be escalating your reported issues to our Customer Care team to authorize a product RMA or possible upgrade. We kindly ask that you don't share your resolution on the forums as we will need to consider an appropriate resolution on a case by case basis."

Oh, you kindly asked? After my experience, I kindly refuse.

Wasted 2 hours on the phone with a tech who made me re-do dozens of steps, not including some I already did myself on my own time:

• Nighthawk App update failure
  • RouterLogin.net autocheck and update failure
  • Manual update failure
  • TFTP reflash failure
  • Updating to V1.4.1.66 (instead of V1.4.1.68) failure
  • Updating to V1.4.1.64 (instead of V1.4.1.68) failure

Then they made me change my RouterLogin.net password. So I did, so their team could access. Guess who now gets kicked off the internet 12 times a day, which wasn't even an issue before I contacted support?

Also, as a part of their "resolution," they sent me an agreement which was insulting to say the least (and of course I didn't sign it). They want me to accept terms to install non-verified beta software, but they're not liable for any damage that it's caused (exceeding $1.00 - yes ONE f***ing dollar for ANY damages / data breaches / lost profit or revenue) and removed themselves of ALL liability.

The agreement is an absolute joke and only an idiot would sign it.

I will never buy a Netgear product again, and I will forever tell everyone I know to AVOID NETGEAR PRODUCTS LIKE THE PLAGUE!

I am beyond pissed off at this experience. What a garbage company. I will also go out of my way to raise this issue to Costco in every way I possibly can to get Netgear products removed from the shelves.

- "Kindly,"
A Lost Customer for Life

Message 9 of 11

There's no reason to go out of your way to defame Netgear. Companies are often measured by their policies and in cases like this how they respond to what many now believe is a manufacturing defect. I don't know, but If it's not, then why do some routers upgrade, while others do not. Clearly there is a problem, and at this point still no solution.

I still use Netgear products and they have a place in the consumer user space. Given that they have millions of products sold and deployed, I'm surprised that they aren't making more of an effort and taking accountability for this. It's not like this issue is caused by user error. Doing nothing only erodes customer confidence. At this point they've had more than enough (or reasonable) amount of time to resolve the problem. If it were solvable through software.

I like Netgear well enough, but don't necessarily agree with the way that they've decided to handle this and similar issues. It's also important to point out that other router manufacturers experience the same types of problems to varying degrees. So the saying the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence is 100% true. Now more than ever, I recommend true enterprise class solutions to family and friends for use in their homes. While the initial investment is more, the reliability and support is consistently superior. Like many things, you get what you pay for. If you have the budget, it's worth it.
Message 10 of 11
Berkey99
Tutor

I will defame them solely as a company that does not back their products when they are defective unless you purchase a costly support package. Netgear needs to recall these defective models and replace them. Any other action indicates that greed is their driving motivation and their motto is ‘Let the buyer beware’. Surely they monitor these groups yet no one from Netgear has responded.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7