Re: Unidentified Netgear MAC address assigned ip address. Cannot identify.

phogenson
Tutor

Unidentified Netgear MAC address assigned ip address. Cannot identify.

When I view attached devices in Netgear Genie I see a MAC address assigned an ip address that I cannot identify. I can account for every device but this one.

When I query the MAC address with a tool online it says the vendor is Netgear.

If I enter the ip address in the browser I get a login screen that looks identical to the R8000 login authentication screen but the UN and PW are not the same as the Genie login screen (I have no idea what they would be...have tried the default netgear login credentials as well as my current Genie UN and PW).

Not sure if I have a hack or the Netgear router has something going on I am not aware of.

Any help/suggestions to identify the source of this mystery device/mac address/ip address would be appreciated!

Thanks, Pete

Message 1 of 5
netwrks
Master

phogenson wrote:
When I view attached devices in Netgear Genie I see a MAC address assigned an ip address that I cannot identify. I can account for every device but this one.

When I query the MAC address with a tool online it says the vendor is Netgear.

If I enter the ip address in the browser I get a login screen that looks identical to the R8000 login authentication screen but the UN and PW are not the same as the Genie login screen (I have no idea what they would be...have tried the default netgear login credentials as well as my current Genie UN and PW).

Not sure if I have a hack or the Netgear router has something going on I am not aware of.

Any help/suggestions to identify the source of this mystery device/mac address/ip address would be appreciated!

Thanks, Pete

The best place to check to see if a device is attached on your network, would be on the router itself, by launching a browser and connecting to the router IP Address. It could be phantom. Unfortunately, the general advice regarding the Genie app, is, don't run it. Especially on a desktop / laptop, as it can introduce other issues, like overall network performance issues on your local network.
Message 2 of 5
VE6CGX
Master

netwrks wrote:
The best place to check to see if a device is attached on your network, would be on the router itself, by launching a browser and connecting to the router IP Address. It could be phantom. Unfortunately, the general advice regarding the Genie app, is, don't run it. Especially on a desktop / laptop, as it can introduce other issues, like overall network performance issues on your local network.

What's good about running Genie which is resource overhead. From now and then I used Netgear routers(last one was R7250), never bothered with Genie.
I am the type I have to control every thing myself.
Message 3 of 5
TANWare
Star

Do you have a USB drive? I know the router assigns an IP too it. The same is true is you use a printer.
Message 4 of 5
IrvSp
Master

If you are on Windows, open up NETWORK and see if it shows there. Windows 8.1 has a 'feature' that lets it connect to other devices nearby. It is the Windows Connect Now - Connection Registrar Service that does this. I had to DISABLE this (on by default) as I was seeing 'phones' in the Network but NO IP Address either.

I did however SEE in my router Access List a MAC Address and an IP Address assigned, but it was also BLOCKED. I assume it was either my neighbor's or a nearby phone/tablet switching to WiFi. Could be the same in your case. To get around this I did create an Access List of known/good MAC Addresses and only allowed those to connect. However I later discovered on the R7000 at least that started the LOG to show DOS Attacks which I assume did stop some TCP/IP packets from being delivered.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E