Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unknown MAC address device connected to hotspot

Bubbajenni
Aspirant

Unknown MAC address device connected to hotspot

Can anyone identify the device or what is connecting to my personal hotspot and using my data please? The MAC address is;
96:9b:29:aa:ca:af
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Unknown MAC address device connected to hotspot

Check the address, I didn't find anything. 

https://dnschecker.org/mac-lookup.php

Message 2 of 11
schumaku
Guru

A typical random MAC address - used for example by default on Apple mobile devices, Android mobiles, except when you configure the connection (by SSID) to use the hardware. Very probably your very on device - who else knows the SSID and the matching security key? Say "thank you Apple & Co" for the most **** idea ever for privacy. 

96:9b:29...

The quick synopsis is look at the second character in a MAC address, if it is a 2, 6, A, or E it is a randomized address.

Message 3 of 11
Bubbajenni
Aspirant

Sorry to sound silly but I’m not very tech savvy, what do you mean by my own device?
In a sense how am I connected to my own hotspot and using my own data, I thought this only happened if I say used my hotspot for internet on another device (say an iPad which had no internet)?.
Message 4 of 11
Bubbajenni
Aspirant

The device is an IPhone XR.
I have no clue about SSID’s, what does it mean about configuring? I don’t think I’ve changed any settings I know of?.
Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Yes, an iPad as well as your iPhone are good good examples. Check the Settings -> Wifi -> (your router wireless name) -> --- there is e.g a Auto-Join and next ot it a Private Address control which is ba default enabled (disabling it does lead to a Privacy Warning - on your very own hotspot router, what a nonsense). Before disabling is, scroll up, there you see the "Wi-Fi Address" ... that's most likely one of these you are hunting. Disable it and be happy. 

Message 6 of 11
Bubbajenni
Aspirant

Unfortunately I still can’t identify what the device is. Is there anyway I can block it when not connected from my iPhone?
Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

The MAC address shown connected is different from your iPhone and iPad Private Address (gee dear Apple, this is a random MAC)  shown on that connected network name?

The SSID I mentioned is the Wi-Fi network name - no rocket science, wht is shown on the screenshots below starting with "Sch...".

Click on the connected Wi-Fi ...

Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 12.43.00.png

...and compare to the Private Address - Wi-Fi Address

Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 12.41.29.png

To assist you better, I'll request moving this thread to the Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems section. If you still need to know how to block a device, we need to know the exact hotpot model. Alternate approach would be to reconfigure the hotspot Wi-Fi, eg. changing the security key to a different value, and re-connect the Wi-Fi clients.

Message 8 of 11
Bubbajenni
Aspirant

How do I move it to the other thread, just post again there?
Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Bubbajenni wrote:
How do I move it to the other thread, just post again there?

No, please don't duplicate. A moderator will move this thread time permitting.

Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Any progress on your iPhone and iPad config?

Have disabled this Private Network (random MAC) nonsense on all your Apple as well as potentially other wireless devices in the meantime?

Have re-connected after changing to the physical MAC?

Does that other suspect random MAC device still show up as a currently connected device? 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7