Highlighted
Aspirant

HGST Touro S

I hooked up an HGST Touro S (formerly Hitachi). Works fast and reliable. I can access it from any phone or tablet using ES File Explorer as well as through my PS3 and Samsung TV (F8000).
Message 101 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Unofficial HDD Compatibility List - Please add yours!

I have a Western Digital My Passport 2TB drive attached to the front USB 3.0 port. One of these:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1000

I pre-formatted in ext4 before attaching. Seems to work well.

Copying wired from PC to drive directly.
Message 102 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have a Lacie d2 Quadra 2TB attached to the front usb3 port and it is working ok. I have it formatted as NTFS.
Message 103 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

Greetings to All,

After reading this Thread, I purchased a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB
USB 3.0 Portable Drive, primarily for backing up my files. I did not install any provided software. I did however install Genie, back when I purchased my R7000 Nighthawk. I am pleased to report that it has worked flawlessly for about a month now. I have 5 Dell Laptops ranging from 1 to 10 years old, and every thing works. Even the one I am running with Linux (Zorin 9 Core). Tasks include writing, deleting and streaming files and folders. I would like to thank the creator and contributors to this thread.
Message 104 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

I apologize if this was answered somewhere in the forums, I don't recall seeing it.

Anyway, does it matter what filesystem the HD is formatted with? Any benefits to one over another (eg Fat32 vs NTFS)?

Thanks,

J
Message 105 of 144
Highlighted
Virtuoso

johnathonm wrote:

Anyway, does it matter what filesystem the HD is formatted with? Any benefits to one over another (eg Fat32 vs NTFS)?

Here's one resource...the reviewer/tester at this web site tests with those particular file systems, and posts the results:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asu...

The test results are in the above review *smile*.
Message 106 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

Roger,

You, as always, are awesome. I appreciate everything you do and all your contributions. It's also always awesome to talk to you.

Smiley Happy

-J
Message 107 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've been using a Seagate GoFlex 500 in the USB 2.0 port with no issues. I do have the drive partitioned into 2 primary partitions. First partition is a small 2GB EXT3 and the rest is formatted NTFS.
Message 108 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

Seagate Backup Plus 5TB 3.5" External Hard Drive worked at first, but after a power outage or anything it stops working until you plug it into a PC and then back into the router. I have it formatted to only recognize 4TB of the 5 as support advised me 4TB's the max. The sucky part was that I passed up on the 4TB model (which is on the good list) and spent the few extra $$$ for the 5TB as it was a Christmas gift to myself.

This feature was one of the main selling features for me. I should have looked into it further to find out the short list of low volume drives that are compatible. Looks like I will be dropping some cash on NAS or making a freeNAS PC.
Message 109 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

WD My Book 4TB has issues plugged into the front USB3 port. Lost data and dropped connections. :-(
Message 110 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have exactly the same issue. I have a WD 4TB My Book Drive that when connected to my WNDR4300 USB port causes the router to break connections and reboot. If I wait long enough the network will sometimes come back but it does not see the external drive and the router periodically just drops off-line. This is actually an improvement after having updated the router firmware.
Message 111 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm using a Netgear r7000 ac1900 router. I connected a Sandisk (FAT32) USB drive on the USB 3 port and am trying to write data (Sync Backup) from my phone to that USB. The error i get is "Read only" . I have configured the Write permission with user n password set on the router n the phone. Am i missing something. Haven't been able to find solutions.
Message 112 of 144
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

I have tried three different portable WD My Passport 1TB drives.  None have enternal power supplies. None work for long in the front USB port. The Rear USB 2.0 port seems to be better for longer.

- A legacy My Passport USB 2.0

- A My Passport USB 3.0

- and a My Passport Ultra USB 3.0

They are used for TimeMachine backups coming from a couple of Macs.  All three were formatted for this task and the steps taken according to the Netgear manual and pdf from their site.  I have tired both formatting options allowed. 

They work fine to start but fail when plugged into the front USB 3.0 port in less than a day if they are not continually 'hit'. I have just tried the rear USB port and so far it has been a few days of bliss. I have no long term data.

I have updated the firmware on the HDD as well as found a WD utility and turned off the power saver function on the two newer HDD (old one has no such user setting)  That did not help with the front USB 3.0 port so I moved to the USB 2.0 port on the back.

Any ideas?  Suggestions?

Message 113 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

My old (maybe 6 years now) USB only WD Passport worked when I had it plugged into the 2.0 slot in the back. Just replaced it with a brand new Seagate 1TB portable HD to plug into the front 3.0 USB. When I log into Readycloud on my phone, it picks it up just fine. But the Readycloud app says "no devices found." Which really sucks because I wanted to set it up as a backup for my media on my phone. Haven't contacted tech support just yet. Still checking sites like this one.
Stock firmware.
Message 114 of 144
Highlighted
Master

Hi Sc0obdo0D,

What is the model number of your router?

What is the firmware version?

Will it work if the Seagte 1TB is connected to the USB 2.0?

Can you access the drive locally via //readyshare? or via http or ftp?

Can you access the drive in ReadyCloud via the browser?

Message 115 of 144
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

Firmware currently testing with V1.0.6.40_1.1.9

Have been working some with NetGear support

Seagate is no longer available so I can't test with it further but all, at the time, responded in the same way

No new news - Eventually the router itself will not respond to Time Macine backups.  Still browsable in Finder (Mac Equivalent to Windows Explorer) but not via Time Machine. AFP vs SMB protocol issues? Then eventually the drive itself disappears in the ReadyShare listing in the Router Web interface. USB 2 port lasted longer than USB 3 port.

Message 116 of 144
Highlighted
Master

Hi EK,

Please continue with your case with the support team. 

Message 117 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have a Seagate 3TB wall powered and stopped working with the R7000 router as well. Just bought a Seagate 4TB wall powered but rethinking this pirchase now after reading this thread
Message 118 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

Message 119 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi @JamesGL,

I have Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83. I am currently facing similar issue. I have Seagate 5.0 TB wall powered (external power) HDD. After connecting everything runs for a while but around 10-15 minutes later internet stops working. My devices cannot doscover Wi-Fi signals for the account. I have to restart my router everytime. Can you please help with this issue? 

Regards,

Nitin

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 120 of 144
Highlighted
Master

Hi nitinchauhan,

The firmware version v1.0.6.28 has been pulled out  from support site. I would suggest try to use the other firmwares that is available in  support site.

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx?cid=gwmng#Firmware Version 1.0.5.70

Message 121 of 144
Highlighted
Master

Hi nitinchauhan,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Message 122 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

This is a helpful thread, but I would suggest making a google doc that outlined what works and doesn't so we can browse that faster. People can add the information, or mtmte can after people post and the rest of us can just access it. 

Second, are there any larger drives that work with time machine? I suppose it could also support crashplan. I would like to backup multiple mac computers and I have a lot of photos. This would be a redundancy backup, but corruption is still not acceptable. I was thinking about a My Book 8TB for my Nighthawk ac19800 R7000. Suggestions are appreciated. 

Message 123 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've been using a "Seagate 4TB Expansion Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Model STEA4000400 Black" plugged into my R7000 for about a month now and have had zero issues so far. Works very well infact. Mostly using it to stream HD movies.

Message 124 of 144
Highlighted
Aspirant

I bought the WD 4TB My Book - WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN as well, thanks for your post Anta. Although WDBFJK0040HBK-04 is on the compatibility list for R6400, I wasn't quite sure if the -NESN model would work but felt better after seeing your post, having bought a hard drive that didn't seem to work well on my first attempt (and finding out that there is such a thing as a compatibility list.)  That should be on the instruction manual!!

The other important piece of information I learned was that not all hard drive formats are automatically supported! Since I have both Macs and PCs, I chose to format using exFat and learned later that exFat is not supported by the router (see below link). I also tried Fat but for whatever reason, it would format as far as 1.8TB out of 4TB on this drive. Ultimately I ended up going with Mac OS Extended (HFS+) since I will be primarily using it with Mac OS anyway and was able to format to the expected 4TB and have it work with the router.  

https://kb.netgear.com/24059/What-are-the-USB-drive-requirements-for-my-Nighthawk-router?cid=wmt_net...

Message 125 of 144
Top Contributors
Announcements