Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unreliable router & Access Control features

lacostej
Aspirant

Unreliable router & Access Control features

I've had a RBK23 system for about a year. I am using the Access Control system to control access for my kid devices.

I have been running into issues regularly since the begining.

1. using the UI to block / unblock the devices is unreliable. One needs to wait 10/30s before refreshing the UI otherwise the data returned to the UI is out of date.

2. it is impossible to allow a non connected device from the Android app. Because of this I wrote a command line tool to block/allow set of devices based on their mac addresses. It's practical because it's much faster and reliable than the UI. (*)

3. but allowed devices get blocked regularly. Without doing anything. Rebooting doesn't help. I sometimes switch WIFI off/on and it fixes itself. Sometimes I reboot the router and it works again.

The last element is really really annoying. it happened twice today and now that I spend most of my time working from home, I can't justify this system.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.03.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.03.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.04.27 PM.png

This isn't rocket science.

It seems that Nextgear only provides 90 days of support. A bit sad.

Weird to have intend to purchase extra support for a product that already costed 300 USD and doesn't work properly.

I am trying this channel to see if someone from Nextgear can open a ticket...

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Unreliable router & Access Control features

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC (WiFi 5) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
lacostej
Aspirant

Looks like the images I attached are not showing up.

This is an example of my own computer being blocked by the router.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.03.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.03.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 10.04.27 PM.png

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AC (WiFi 5) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Thank you.

Message 3 of 5
lacostej
Aspirant

arg. Thanks. Didn't even notice I posted into the wrong forums...

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7