Unsecure login

Mark_53
Star

Unsecure login

When I login to my nighthawk router from web browser, I get a windows message saying this is an insecure login. Is there a way to login securely?
Message 1 of 12

Re: Unsecure login

Wired connection or wifi?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 12
Mark_53
Star

Wifi. If I try and login over wifi using a browser I get the warning.
Message 3 of 12

Sorry, I should have asked if you are trying to login to the world or just to the control pages for the (unknown version) router.

If it is to control the router, then thew security issues are minimal. It is all local stuff. The wider internet is another matter.

You might get more sensible answers if you provided the information that the forum suggests that you provide:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

For example, Netgear makes many Nighthawk devices. It may not be important, but it cuts out all the questions if you start off by answering those questions.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 12
Mark_53
Star

This is a Nighthawk AC1750. When I enter my DDNS hostname, or www.routerlogin.net, I get the security warning.
Message 5 of 12

Looks like browser thing.

Maybe a different browser will not throw the warning.

Just another user.

Message 6 of 12
Mark_53
Star

You are right. I'm using Microsoft Edge. It gives a security warning. Mozilla does not give the warning. But, using Mozilla, I don't see a secure connection lock on the screen and it is not an https connection. Am I secure when logging in remotely? How does going to www.routerlogin know to go to my router?

Message 7 of 12

@Mark_53 wrote:

How does going to www.routerlogin know to go to my router?

Because that is its local address.

That URL does not go out into the Internet. I works even if you are off line. It is a "hard-wired" address that Netgear uses as the way to get at your modem/router.

You are not first person, and definitely not the last, to be confused by this.

Just another user.

Message 8 of 12
Mark_53
Star

Well it certainly does go out to the internet. If I ping router.net its IP is 209.242.233.7.
Message 9 of 12

Unplug your modem from the Internet. Then try that address. Reel back in shock when it works.

Here's another clue. Before you set up a modem or router you cannot connect to the Internet. Netgear asks you to use that address when you set up a modem or router.

If you cannot connect to the Internet, how come you can connect to your hardware with that address?

Just another user.

Message 10 of 12
Mark_53
Star

Well my installation manual says to connect your modem first.
I have no problem connecting to the internet. Never said I did. My concern is the unsecure connection and logging in to my router using an insecure connection. Maybe there is something proprietary going on behind the scene but makes me nervous. Anyone sniffing the router.net IP will pickup my username and password.
Message 11 of 12

@Mark_53 wrote:
Well my installation manual says to connect your modem first.
I have no problem connecting to the internet. Never said I did. My concern is the unsecure connection and logging in to my router using an insecure connection. Maybe there is something proprietary going on behind the scene but makes me nervous. Anyone sniffing the router.net IP will pickup my username and password.

I repeat, the fact that you are connected to the Internet has nothing to do with how www.routerlogin.com works.

www.routerlogin.com and www.routerlogin.com are not addresses on the Internet.

If you don't believe me, try Google.

I am happy to try an even simpler explanation. What is in there that you do not understand?

The fact that you originally ascribed this phenomenon to your hardware when you later found that it was browser dependent should have taught you something.

Anyone sniffing the router.net IP will pickup my username and password.

I sense incomplete knowledge running riot here.

The router.net IP is probably 192.168.0.1 or maybe 192.168.1.1 type that into your browser and reel back in shock. If you are still worried, you may want to apply some wire cutters to your Internet connection.

Just another user.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E