Re: Up and down like a yoyo - what's up with that??

Up and down like a yoyo - what's up with that??

Looking at signal with wifi scanner... I see the R7000 2.4 "guest" is bouncing up and down intermittently, all day long. Any idea what's up with that???

All other signals from the R7000 look normal
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I believe the movement is more of a receiver limitation and or software issue with how it's displayed and not actually a problem.
Message 2 of 6
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Second what searay is saying. Depending on what wireless adapter that I use, the signals from my router look different. Which says that this is on the receiving (client) end, rather than the router. Usually, the 2.4GHz. guest network will look just like the regular 2.4GHz. signal (and be on the same channel, too *smile*). So be sure that you're using the same client device (computer, mobile device, etc.) to look at the 2.4GHz. signal and the 2.4GHz. guest signal.
Message 3 of 6

It's very odd... it's intermittent but continuous, every few minutes.

screenshot: http://bullyhawk.com/images/guest.png
Message 4 of 6
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Is there anyone using the guest network? You'll often see that kind of thing when a network is not in use by any clients. In any case, wireless can vary a lot, just the nature of the beast. That's a big part of why you should use wired access whenever you can, especially when streaming, wireless can vary quite a lot over time. And pretty much disappear for short periods of time, as well.
Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Guest uses same radio as normal SSID for 2.4

It's a none issue, the wifi card is not meant to be used as a spectrum analyzer. The channel is shared with other AP's. IT's NOT a constant carrier it starts and stops so fast the client cannot display the level correctly. When measuring or comparing signals you should NOT be associated/connected/or using the WIFI.
If you're concerned about it RMA it.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E