Re: Update Firmware Version: 1.4.1.62

LOISLANE
Initiate

Update Firmware Version: 1.4.1.62

Firmware not updating manually nor via router web check option.
Nighthawk R8000P
Current Firmware Version: 1.4.1.50
Update Firmware Version: 1.4.1.62
I have attempted to update the firmware via the Router web app option when I select check for update the return message is no new update. However, there is a new firmware update. When I attempt to do it manually nothing happens even after a manual reboot of the router.

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Sklekw13
Initiate

I am having the same trouble. Update will not download on the app. Tried using a laptop and no luck either.
Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 11
prubio
Initiate

Same here.  Tried the previous version of firmware without success as well.  The last 2 updates from Netgear don't seem to update on the R7960p.  I tried both through the autoupdate feature in the UI as well as downloading and applying the .chk file through the UI.  Neither resulted in a successful update. 

Message 3 of 11
dwgemster
Tutor

I recieved notification that there was an important update for my router's firmware and when I check via the automatic checking setup on the router page it says there are no updates. I can not seem to find a place to download the actual update on the Netgear site either, the release notes and instructions are there but no firmware seems to be downloadable. Please advise.

Thank you.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 11
nwork
Apprentice

Same here. My guess is that there's a serious problem with any firmware change once you have 1.4.1.50 installed. I can't upgrade or downgrade my firmware. There's no notification when checking for new updates (from both desktop interface & mobile app) and if I download the file and try manually (via ethernet etc.) the router goes through the process but when it reboots it still has 1.4.1.50. From what I've read around here, it's a widespread issue, which makes it really bizarre that Netgear is not saying anything on this. The only response I've seen is to use tftp, but some users have tried that with the same result. This is a serious issue not just because of the security concerns, but also because the 1.4.1.50 is highly unstable and flawed. Overall, a very bad experience with this product Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 11
dwgemster
Tutor

So looking inside the file on the support download site for this 1.4.1.62 update, I see there is a file in the zip file called: R8000P-V1.4.1.62_1.3.22.chk. Is this the actual router update? The file names on the download page are extemely misleading if so. The file is labled revision notes or something like that. The revision notes is simply a link that takes you to the page that shows you how to update the router using the AUTO setting, nothing about what the firmware update is fixing or how to install it manually. I don't want to use the .chk file until I have some confirmation, I'll contact support if I've not heard anything here in a while. Thank you.

Message 6 of 11
antinode
Guru

> [...] there is a file in the zip file called:
> R8000P-V1.4.1.62_1.3.22.chk. Is this the actual router update? [...]

It's the firmware image file, yes.

> [...] The file is labled revision notes or something like that. [...]

The ".zip" archive should include both the firmware image file and
the Release Notes file.

> [...] The revision notes is simply a link that takes you to the page
> that shows you how to update the router using the AUTO setting, nothing
> about what the firmware update is fixing or how to install it manually.
> [...]

At what, exactly, are you looking?  Netgear firmware release notes
tend to be uninformative, but not entirely empty.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "firmware",
and, especially, for a topic like "Manually Upload Firmware to the Router".

Message 7 of 11
DeadBEEF666
Tutor

Same problem with mine.  I don't recall what the original firmware version was when I purchased the router, but it immediately updated to :R8000P Firmware Version V1.4.1.50_1.3.10

I manually download the 1.4.1.62 update from ->  http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8000P/R8000P-V1.4.1.62_1.3.22.zip and the router seemed ...

I'm having issues with the QOS setting.  If I enable it, and then attempt to change device from highest to something else, I get locked out of the admin screens.. The router still operates, but using a browser nor the iPhone nighthawk app I cannot get into the admin.  I have to reboot the router.....

Message 8 of 11
dwgemster
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. My current firmware version is V1.4.1.50_1.3.10, the one I'm trying to update to is V1.4.1.62_1.3.22. As others have reported the manual process does not appear to update the router. After confirming the .chk file is the router update, I went to the advanced tab on the router update page. It shows I currently have V1.4.1.50_1.3.10. After uploading the new update (the router goes through the motions of doing an update and reboots), following the update I still have V1.4.1.50_1.3.10. Any tips on getting it to work? Thanks again for the reply, and you're correct the patch notes are extremely sparse, they simply say Fixed security issues. Which I can understand why they'd not want to go into too much detail, it's just not quite what I'm used to seeing when I see release notes. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 11
rinthos
Luminary

Just for kicks..those that are trying to update (you specify the .chk file, you need to unzip from the download file first) but it simply reboots to the prior version, can you share what you see when you go to your Router's debug page:

http://www.routerlogin.net/debug.htm

OR

http://routerIP/debug.htm ( for example: http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm )

Can you share what you see for the following:

Basic Information
CPU Load

CPU1: 8.81% CPU2: 21.51%

Memory Usage (Used/Total)

362MB/428MB

Flash Usage (Used/Total)

101.12MB/128.00MB

Network Session (Active/Total)

1264/65535

System Uptime

1 days 04:26:18

I've had a couple R8000Ps have the same problem, and even factory resets do not work, but the trend i notice is the Flash Usage section...seems the same on all of the ones with an issue.

I know this doesn't help, and ultimately the last resort Netgear provides is manually updating firmware using TFTP which may or may not work but it's an option if you need to get the update installed.  In my failure scenarios, not even TFTP works...

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Message 10 of 11
DaWeav
Guide

And another R8000P router that won't take the update! Seriously, when is Netgear going to get rid of these worthless engineers and programmers!!! I had another Netgear model that also would not do a firmware update which is why I got this more higher end router. What a nightmare when I'm trying to patch security issues on your home network. Sometimes I think these Netgear engineers and programmers are the actual hackers who don't want these routers patched so that they can then hack my network. Netgear, it's time to start doing this right since your own mobile app doesn't even offer this firmware update either. You can't even use your own tools, wow!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 25 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements