Re: Update bricked my router - R6700v2

mugrad
Follower

Update bricked my router - R6700v2

I received an email from Netgear that there was a firmware update for my R6700v2 router. Ok, cool. I ran the update through the Nighthawk app on my phone (like the email said to do). After the update finished, the app said it would connect to the network and to give it a minute. After many minutes, it came back and said it couldn't connect. So I checked the router and none of the lights are on except the power light, which is orange. It was normally white. No other lights are on. I can't connect to it at all.

I've tried multiple resets (off/on button, unplug and replug, reset button for 10 seconds, reset button for over a minute). Nothing has worked. Still have the orange light. I bought this router in Nov 2017, so it's only 5 months old.

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Uh oh. Another one. Try this for a more severe reset:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If that fails, your hardware is still under warranty.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 8
Craig123456
Initiate

Same thing happened to me this morning. Ran an update, my router froze with only the power light on (amber). Tried holding the reset button in while unplug/plug in the power. I talked to support, they told me the same things that I already tried. Still nothing. They said, your router is 13 months old, go buy another one! I asked if it could have been the update (I already knew the answer, YES). He said it was my fault, I must have done something wrong.

I went out and bought a Linksys router.

After coming home and cooling down (with my cool, new router). I started to play around with the R6700. I was finally able to get the power light flashing white. I could then ping the router directly from my desktop. I tried to manually install the firmware (directions on netgear). Didn't get any error messages. But when I restart the router the power light stays amber. 

I'll NEVER (knowingly) buy a netgear product again. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
SmallTrader
Apprentice

Despite what Netgear said on the email or release note regarding using the Genie Apps on Smartphone to perform firmware, personally I would not trust updating firmware using a smartphone. It is just too risky as too many things can go wrong updating via a smartphone.

Best approach is to use update firmware via an ethernet cable connected to a PC. Use the browser interface on the PC to perform the upgrade

To the OP. Do a seach on the forum, there is a TFTP procedure to recover from bricked router.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 8

@SmallTrader wrote:

Despite what Netgear said on the email or release note regarding using the Genie Apps on Smartphone to perform firmware, personally I would not trust updating firmware using a smartphone. It is just too risky as too many things can go wrong updating via a smartphone.

I am with you 100 per cent on that one. I don't trust wifi either. The update process actually breaks the link between the router and the network and you never know if it will come back.

And TFTP is usually a good way of rescuing a router if you can get it into recovery mode (flashing power l.power LED).

TFTP isn't a Netgear exclusive. It is an industry wide way of writing software into e device's firmware memory. So there is advice out in YouTube land and other places on how to go about it.

Netgear's note even manages to complicate the issue with talk of downloading third party software. You don't need that, just enable TFTP in Windows.

• Control Panel
  • Programs and Features
  • Turn Windows features on or off
  • TFTP client - enable

People have written about other ways of getting firmware on to a router. So life is not lost even if TFTP fails.

@SmallTrader wrote:

To the OP. Do a seach on the forum, there is a TFTP procedure to recover from bricked router.

Here it is.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 8

@Craig123456 wrote:

They said, your router is 13 months old, go buy another one! I'll NEVER (knowingly) buy a netgear product again. 

That's outrageous. In some countries outside the USA warranties are longer than one year. That's the law.

@Craig123456 wrote:

I asked if it could have been the update (I already knew the answer, YES). He said it was my fault, I must have done something wrong.

And that is also rubbish. There are too many cases here of failed firmware updates. Netgear's upgrade system is far from perfect.

Pity you got another router. I suspect that you could fix the R6700 using TFTP. But that can take a few attempts.

Just another user.

Message 6 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] just enable TFTP in Windows.

Except that after you "just enable" it, you might need to use it:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1533866#M87578

Message 7 of 8
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi mugrad, 

If the above steps that were provided by other users did not resolve the issue, I suggest to contact support team. This might be a hardware issue. Check the warranty of your unit and have it replaced.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements