Highlighted

Update to V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 breaks DHCP on X6 R8000

In updating the firmware to ensure the right security patches to protect against the VPNFilter malware, the update totally breaks DHCP and NONE of my computers would connect.  I have an extensive network, with 25 or so devices, each of which has a DHCP address reservation.  I had to manually set all IP configs on a device to get it to connect to the router or the internet.

Observations:

Update to V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 breaks DHCP.

A factory reset did NOT solve the problem.

A rollback to V1.0.4.12_10.1.46 did solve the problem.

I had to "restore settings" twice after the rollback to get everything working again

This is a very big break.  It makes this rev of the firmware unusable.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Update to V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 breaks DHCP on X6 R8000

I had a very similar issue; I upgraded to  V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 and then after a time all of my Internet access would cease. If I rebooted the router, it would come back for a time. For me, it looked like the issue was the DNS resolution was failing by the router. I also rolled back to V1.0.4.12_10.1.46 to resolve. 

Message 2 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

I am very disappointed. I just updated to the latest firmware and now my router is useless.  I am having the same issue.  My wife works from home and this is a nightmare.  I get internet for maybe 5-10 min then nothing and I have reset the router then the same thing. Worked fine before the firmware update.  

Router was upgraded via wired connection

2 factory resets have not solved the issue. 

How do I roll back to an earlier version?

how do I just make this an AP for use behind another router which I now have to buy?

Message 3 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

You can use the instructions here to download and install the prevoius version. It will ask you to confirm that you want to install an older version.

https://kb.netgear.com/000054461/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-12

Message 4 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

Thank you!

Message 5 of 18
Highlighted

With so much activity, this thread seems to have been lost in the noise.

Any fix, or even acknowledgement from Netgear on the broken firmware update.  I assume its not horribley widespread, but still there are enough of us here that cannot upgrade to the latest version of the firmware becuase of the above problems.

Bueller?  Buller?

Message 6 of 18
Highlighted
Initiate

I'm having the same issue. Using an old router which has it's own set of problems and is why I spent a lot of money on the R8000.

I don't understand how Netgear hasn't address a serious issue like this after more than a month. From reading this forum, I guess this is their typical poor response. And is why I won't be buying another Netgear product after being burned on this one.

Message 7 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

Exactly the reason I bought Linksys router the day Netgear killed it. I knew it would take months for them to acknowledge the issue and correct it.
Message 8 of 18
Highlighted
Master

@727guru wrote:
Exactly the reason I bought Linksys router the day Netgear killed it. I knew it would take months for them to acknowledge the issue and correct it.

Could it be that not everyone has this problem? Could it be only those using specific settings could be having this problem?

On the R8000 some settings seem to cause problems for people (and may also be combinations vs. just that one setting alone). VPN, Reserved IP Addresses (I recall NG saying 25 is the limit you can set and should be outside the DHCP block of IP Addresses), Parental Controls, especially Circle, Traffic Meter, and some others too.

As I read the original posting here, it was solved by assigning Static IP Addresses to the devices, "I had to manually set all IP configs on a device to get it to connect to the router or the internet." Note that there were "with 25 or so devices, each of which has a DHCP address reservation. ", which might have exceeded the NG limit (although I'd expect to not to be able to set more than the router could allow) or even near it and that caused the problems.

Message 9 of 18
Highlighted
Initiate

Enough people have *a* problem that more than a month later, at the least, it should be acknowledged. I'm not interested in a discussion on this forum of what I, or any other Netgear customer, should or shouldn't do or how we may have a unique setting which may cause the issue.

The facts are Netgear is a large company with lots of resources, this is highend (home) equipment and they offer the settings customers utilize (it's not like we hacked our routers and are using unsupported features). This isn't the only thread on this same issue. There's obviously some sort of issue and I would be willing to give Netgear the benefit of the doubt if it wasn't for the fact that this same thing happens after every firmware update - they break enough routers for customers to be on here discussing it but are slow to respond with another firmware update fixing what they broke.

I believe I read you posted basically the same response on another thread where a customer had a similar complaint. Defend the company all you want and enjoy being the local expert on these boards. The rest of us don't have the time and/or inclination to spend hours trying to get the device we paid hundreds of dollars for to work. Yes, it's a complex piece of equipment with many variables, but at the least, we expect Netgear to a) not break their own equipment and b) issue timely updates when they do (without the need for us to also spend countless hours holding their hand, walking them through the issues).

Message 10 of 18
Highlighted
Master

@Quinn4theWin, well I'm trying to help people...

If you REALLY expect to get something fixed here, the odds of that happening are QUITE low if it is a h/w or s/w problem. Have a set up problem, settings problem, need some usage assistance, a fairly high chance it will be 'fixed' here by some unpaid, non-NG person who has the knowledge you may not.

Got a real problem, you need to contact NG. This is GREAT if you are in your first 90 days of ownership. After that, for the rest of the first year, great if you actually have a defective router.

Not in that situation, NG has you over a barrel. Either use this arena and 'HOPE' your problem can be solved without a firmware fix or that some NG employee who sees the problem as having a major hit on many people, takes up the lance and goes to bat for you. Otherwise you'll be forced to sit and wait and hope it gets fixed or PAY NG or a 3rd party to fix it (even if it requires a code change).

Go ahead, review this forum, how many do you see that NG has either said they would get it fixed and GAVE you a CASE # or even a beta code to test due to a post here. VERY VERY few.

I am NOT defending the company at all, although I can see how you might think so. I am trying to set realistic expectations.

I am and have had problems with my various NG routers over time. I had a DLNA problem when I got my R7000 a few years ago. It took FOREVER to get DLNA working correctly. The stuff I had to go through was aggravating. The first thing was "I had a bad router, we will RMA it" which appears to be done quite often. Didn't fix it (and I had to pay to ship it to them and get a refurbished unit back), and ONLY then did they start working in earnest on it. First response back, not a bug, I didn't understand how it worked. Wrong answer, I knew more about DLNA and the SQL database it uses than they did. Many back and forths and it was basically solved but it took a long time.

Right now I'm in a battle with Support over SMB 1 needed for Network sharing. Same crap, they wanted to RMA my R8000 as it was bad... fooled me once, not again. Stuck to my guns and finally discovered I had a bad USB drive. Replaced that and I got it partially working. Still needed SMB 1 though. First pass after that with Support, OK, they recreated the problem. Next I hear they didn't. I send in more screen captures and data. OK, they understand, they will work on it. Last thing, not a bug, I need to enable SMB 1. MS says don't use it. Sent all that back to Support. Still waiting to hear the response.

I'm NOT a fan of Support. I think the QA on new releases appears to be poor or non-existent. They don't use Beta testers either, or at least I am NOT one of them. I do understand some here DO have access to some beta code and even NG employees to contact. I do not have any official channels to any NG employee.

Think whatever you want, but get your expectation straight. The odds of getting something fixed due to a post here is extremely low, especially in a timely fashion if a code fix is needed as that 'message' might never get to someone who CAN fix it. Not saying it doesn't happen, but if it does, it is RARE, and usually is when a new version of firmware is released and major problems surface for MANY people immediately.

Message 11 of 18
Highlighted

Could it be that not everyone has this problem? Could it be only those using specific settings could be having this problem?

On the R8000 some settings seem to cause problems for people (and may also be combinations vs. just that one setting alone). VPN, Reserved IP Addresses (I recall NG saying 25 is the limit you can set and should be outside the DHCP block of IP Addresses), Parental Controls, especially Circle, Traffic Meter, and some others too.

As I read the original posting here, it was solved by assigning Static IP Addresses to the devices, "I had to manually set all IP configs on a device to get it to connect to the router or the internet." Note that there were "with 25 or so devices, each of which has a DHCP address reservation. ", which might have exceeded the NG limit (although I'd expect to not to be able to set more than the router could allow) or even near it and that caused the problems.

I am the OP.

Not quite correct, though in rereading the post I can see how you got there.  Correcting two things.  

On update to V1.0.4.18_10.1.49, DHCP did not function at all, EVEN AFTER A FACTORY RESET.  There would have been 0 reserved IP addresses after that.

Also, assigning static IPs was not a fix...it was a temporary workaround that allowed me to get to the internet, grab the old firmware image and roll it back.  Thats all the static IP was used for...I have not rolled that out across my config, not planning on it.

It likely is config specific, since if it were not, I assume more folk would be piling on here.  Still there are enough of us that do have it, and the lack of response here has been breathtaking.  Normally I would say that "Netgear really ought to step up", but I am beyond that now, they have lost all my business forever.  I still subscribe to the postings here in case there is a fix so that I can give the router to charity or something. 

Message 12 of 18
Highlighted
Master

@steveng57, thanks for the clarification and correcting my misunderstanding.

Personally, I've had some problems with the RESET process. Works sometimes completely, sometimes still some settings remain.

What I have found, in later firmware versions, NG has added an ERASE NVRAM capability on the ADVANCED tab on top, ADMINISTRATION tab on left, BACKUP SETINGS, the REVERT FACTORY SETTINGS (ERASE button) does the job best.

At one time NG always told you to use a wired PC to apply a firmware update... that is no longer the case, but I wonder if using a wireless device is a contributor to problems. Also they used to start do a RESET and REENTER all settings. Not any more. Don't know if they were overly cautious in the past and now know that wasn't necessary? Never saw a statement why the change on this?

I have had problems updating firmware in the past. My first response is re-install it, and if it still is a problem, erase the settings (NVRAM) and reenter. Works for me.

Message 13 of 18
Highlighted

@Quinn4theWin wrote:

Enough people have *a* problem that more than a month later, at the least, it should be acknowledged. I'm not interested in a discussion on this forum of what I, or any other Netgear customer, should or shouldn't do or how we may have a unique setting which may cause the issue.

The facts are Netgear is a large company with lots of resources, this is highend (home) equipment and they offer the settings customers utilize (it's not like we hacked our routers and are using unsupported features). This isn't the only thread on this same issue. There's obviously some sort of issue and I would be willing to give Netgear the benefit of the doubt if it wasn't for the fact that this same thing happens after every firmware update - they break enough routers for customers to be on here discussing it but are slow to respond with another firmware update fixing what they broke.

I believe I read you posted basically the same response on another thread where a customer had a similar complaint. Defend the company all you want and enjoy being the local expert on these boards. The rest of us don't have the time and/or inclination to spend hours trying to get the device we paid hundreds of dollars for to work. Yes, it's a complex piece of equipment with many variables, but at the least, we expect Netgear to a) not break their own equipment and b) issue timely updates when they do (without the need for us to also spend countless hours holding their hand, walking them through the issues).

I could not agree more.  I am a Software Engineer, and connectivity is vital for me to earn a living.  Netgear clearly broke two things here: the security problem in the first place, and then the firmware upgrade.  If they expect me to pay a cent for that ?!?!, they are mistaken.  All funds are going toward new networking gear.  

Message 14 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

I too work from here as a software support engineer. My home network is pretty damn vanilla with no “special settings” in the network topology. It worked on the old firmware and open vpn. Updated did a factory reset nothing on the network works for long then nothing as soon as another device joins the network. There are no ip conflicts or MAC address conflicts either. I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay for support they caused. I went and got a quality Linksys router and it was just about plug and play. Up and running in 15 minutes no issues.
Message 15 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hey all,

I have a problem after the update as well. i have about 15 devices connected in my network. after the update the DHCP doesn't provide an IP adres. Only way to get devices working is unplugging and reconnecting but after a couple of hours or when you leave the house and comeback you can find an connect but the router doesn't provide an IP.

I rolled back to the previous Firmware hoping this is a "solution".

how can we repport this to Netgear? are they reading in? i can't find a mail adres or phonenumber....

So please netgear solve and update the firmware because the current versions is CRAP!

Message 16 of 18
Highlighted
Aspirant

Regrettably I did not see this post before I updated the firmware in the brand new R8000 router. Device worked fine before update, and now I have a Static IP brick. Thank you NG. Very frustrating to see that people have been reporting this issue with the 10.1.49 firmware update and tNG has not resolved it yet. Adding isult to injury, the 'firmware update' that is pulled by the router is of the version 10.1.49. So NG is pushing the error to all the unsuspecting victims out there. For those who do not have CISSP, CCNA, MCSE, and other certs it may be hard to identify DHCP issues when regular ops seem to fail. I should not have to take this much efort to reset to factory and rebuild my router profile. 

Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
Tutor

In case anyone is still tracking this... I've updated to the most recent version of firmware (from V1.0.4.12_10.1.46) and it's been running fine for about a week now. I haven't experienced any of the issues that I had with V1.0.4.18_10.1.49.

Last time (when I had the issues), I'd downloaded the firmware directly within the router UI. This time I tried it differently with a few more steps. Here's what I did:

- Download the V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 firmware to my laptop and extract it

- Connect the laptop to my wired network

- Disconnect the router from the Internet

- Reboot the router

- Upon reboot, login to the router from the laptop, upload the firmware that I'd downloaded and install it

- After the update, reboot the router again and then reconnect the Internet

So far, so good for me. Hard to tell if anything was fixed in the firmware or not, the notes don't mention any issues like we previously experienced.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements