Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Updated my firmware, now I have ads all my router interface

mr_scary
Guide

Updated my firmware, now I have ads all my router interface

I updated my routers firmaware, now there are ADS within the administration. 

WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? 

This is very bad, I will never ever buy your pruduct again unless this garbage disapears,

I expect an update to remove it imediately .

I do not want your stupid mobile app, never have, never will. 

Complete trash advertising

And it will not let me post the screen shot

Capture.PNG

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Updated my firmware, now I have ads all my router interface

Hello Mr Scary 

I have watched your video and will share this with the engineers to find a fix for this issue.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
mr_scary
Guide

OMG now it's blocking me from Amazon.com, saying this page is blocked by nighthawk trash. 

I was looking at Netgear Switch on Amazon.

So I go into my other router R6400 (NOT A NIGHTHAWK), now every page is "DOWNLOAD THE NIGHTHAWK APP" full page advertisement. every single setting I click on in the AC1650 R6400 router admin.

What are you people doing to these products. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 11
mr_scary
Guide

Okay I am going to make a video about this and post it to every media outlet I can... 

This is absurd

Message 3 of 11
mr_scary
Guide

Okay here is the video of my issue, any help, thanks.. 

https://youtu.be/aLDEPLmuxqY

Message 4 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Mr Scary 

I have watched your video and will share this with the engineers to find a fix for this issue.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 11
mr_scary
Guide

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello Mr Scary 

DarrenM

Thank you @DarrenM I appreciate the very kind reply. Thanks.. 

I did fix the issue, it turned out to be an IP conflict I believe (Maybe) thats why the ad was coming up on the wrong router.. 

I had to connect to the router by itself and no other routers connected the the PC and set it up as an access point, then connect it to the primary router. 

All is working fine now. 

I apolagize for getting angry, but it took up my whole day, and into the early morning. 

All good, and thanks...

Message 6 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Allow me some comments - even if I'm not a big fan of what is going on in the "progress" of adding enhancements (and semi-intrusive ads for this crApp for more than a year on other Nightawk routers like the R9000. Everything you show here is more or less in place on the Nightawk routers for a much longer time. Everything. also on our R8000 - you just havn'et updated or factory reset for a long time anymore of course.

On YT you state:

"I cannot believe what happened to me after a Netgear router firmware update on my R8000 Nighthawk, and started messing with my R6400 router. I use a second router to add more wired ports, and then this."

The video does show some "day-zero" config page (192.168.1.1/start.htm) intended for user quick start. Obviously Netgear does continue to push the Nighthawk App disease to new (old) spheres along with router firmware updates. 

This looks to me this R6400v2 is in a factory default state - and is completely unrelated to the R8000 update, just a wild assumption. Except that it's unclear on how this R6400v2 is connected to your existing network (considering you talk on don't know the other router IP address and so on) [and in my personal view adding additional consumer routers "to add some more ports" isn't always a good advise].

"Netgear Insane Nighthawk App Advertisement Annoyance popping up on my NON-Night Hawk router"

When reviewing Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? one can find that the Nighthawk App disease has reached also many more non-Nighthawk routers - so there is not much wrong with what you see there. 

At this point the reader must assume you intend to configure this R6400v2 from scratch to make it workable as a plain layer 2 device - so make it a wireless access point, and [hopefully*] the LAN ports become available as switch ports.

*This does not work reliably on several older Netgear routers - performance can be (especially on Broadcom units) awfully bad, and consumer routers often don't make good wireless access points either.

The reason it does not let you go to Amazon is that the router is in Netgear's ideas not properly configured as a simple default NAT router, thus capturing any Internet access attempts. Depending on the Internet connection this can make some sense - here where (I assume again - you have hidden to much in the video) you connect the new R6400v2 WAN to your R8000 LAN [configued for a different IP subnet than 192.168.1.0/24 luckily!] one would assume a simple Ethernet router would work just as a simple IP NAT router. But it does not....

Going back to your video, you say "I can't access any of my settings" ... "I don't want the Nightawk App, I don't want it" ... the intended way out would be using that link on the bottom. Hey, I'm fully with you! We often have to guide new users away from the nighthwk app towards the Web UI to resolve thier install issues. With this version, it will become difficult - unless one does know about this well documented bug - very informative for communiy members trying to help (but not owning masses of different Netgear routers).

The only real issue I can see is that the link at the bottom intended for not using the App does not work as expected, bringing up the [default?] config, and a "fake" attempt to get the App does allow to bypass. What's possible thanks to Netgears year long poor router bugware and side effects of the Web UI.

Or was this R6400v2 configured before and it returned to the fresh install state? Probably not - as I understand you did a factory reset during the video.

Overall - just a lot of noise for a tiny bug. one more not captured by the (unlikely existing) QA 8-)

@mr_scary wrote:

Okay I am going to make a video about this and post it to every media outlet I can... 

This is absurd

No, that's just B.S.

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@mr_scary wrote:

I did fix the issue, it turned out to be an IP conflict I believe (Maybe) thats why the ad was coming up on the wrong router..

I fear there is more as explained above. Probably the broken or non-working link for the I-dont-wanat-this-app could be affected by the duplicate IP. 

@mr_scary wrote:

I had to connect to the router by itself and no other routers connected the the PC and set it up as an access point, then connect it to the primary router. 

Consulting the fine documentation on how to connect and configure an additional router in AP mode would help. for a reason it's asking to use the WAN/Internet port 8-)

ps. Sorry, reviewing video and evalutaing took a litle bit more time so I haven't been able to see oyur reply above.

Message 8 of 11
mr_scary
Guide

Hey I really appreciate your reply, 

There are 2 routers... 

1. R6400v2 that is configured and has been for several years... no issues what so ever....

It's my primary router Wired & Wireless

2. R8000 thats is/was configured as an access point for several years, no issues what so ever...

Wired only for my servers and workstation

Okay...   

Let's be clear, I do not use the Nighthawk app, that's not what's being used in the video okay.. 

it's Google Chrome... 162.168.1.1, Netgear Admin...  

The nighthawk app ad was appearing on my primary router, on every page of admin area.

Would not allow me to choose "Don't Have Smartphone"

I updated the firmware, from the last one, to the latest one on the R8000, it was only 1 version... 

I did not update the R6400v2 and it did not need it, I keep them up to date... 

as you can the problem was (and is no more) the web page AD, would not allow me into the R6400v2 admin setting to locate the R8000's ip address, and in doing so I could not see the attached devices to find the R8000 in the list, so I can get the IP address of the R8000 so I can access it... on Google Chrome 192.168.1.14, which I can now access both routers without issue.. all is working great just the way it should and is intended... 

But I do thank you for your replies, and I guess you were trying to help.. 

I know I was irratated and got mad, I apolagized. 

So best wishes, and thanks.... Have a very wonderful day....

I will post a pic of both admin panels so you can see..

Message 9 of 11
mr_scary
Guide

You should see the R8000 is the access point, and each have a different local IP address...

but before you could not see this because the AD was there instead.R8000-R6400v2.jpg

Message 10 of 11
mr_scary
Guide

Actually after reading your reply again, and again, you do actually get it... 

Sorry it's been a very long 2 days.. 

Thanks....Sorry again.... 

Maybe i was getting confused myself, and the other thread... 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7