Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded Firmware and now OpenDNS Allowed Sites not working on 1 device???

TonyB13
Aspirant

Upgraded Firmware and now OpenDNS Allowed Sites not working on 1 device???

Yesterday I updated the firmware on my nighthawk. The main computer with my Netgear Genie is suddenly being blocked by OpenDNS from site that are white listed and I am positive are properly set to allow traffic. I was not having ANY issues prior to upgrading the router and I upgraded the router from the same computer that I am now having gthe problem on! I have a total of 11 devices in the house and 10 of them are able to get to the sites as expected. The ONLY one that cannot is the one that was use to upgrade the router.

Examples of some of the sites that are both white listed and properly set via custom settings are as follows:

• Youtube.com
  • mail.yahoo.com (I can get to yahoo but not to the actual email client)
  • gmail.com (Same as yahoo, I can get to google, but not the gmail client)
  • hotmail.com (Same as above)

Additionally, some apps are now being blocked and ONLY on this one computer. Examples of these apps are:

• Discord
  • Steam
  • Epic Games Launcher

This of course suggests that certain protocals are being blocked such as webmail, video and photo sharing (youtube), games, chat, etc. I have spent several hours verifying that the settings are correct and again, there are 10 other devices on the same network that can get to those sites/apps without any issues. We have a misture of iOS and Windows devices.

On this computer, I have performed the following actions (not necessarily in this order) in an attempt to clear this issue and have had no luck:

• Changed to the 2nd WiFi network and verified the issue remained
  • Changegd back and checked again
  • Cleared the browser history/cache (numerous tiems)
  • Performed reboots and full shutdowns multiple times
  • Used 3 different browsers with the same results
  • Released and renewed the IP
  • Verified the DHCP is active
  • Verified the DNS is automatic
  • Cleared the local cache
  • Verified the Host File is clean
  • Rebooted both the router and modem

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am truely stumped on this one and considering removing OpenDNS all together. The problem is I have 2 young daughters that I am trying to protect so it is really important to me to get this working and I don't understand how updating the router would cause this to happen!

Thanks in advance,

TonyB

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TonyB13
Aspirant

Re: Upgraded Firmware and now OpenDNS Allowed Sites not working on 1 device???

I had to do the hard reset on the router and then a manual configuration of the settings. I tried restting then uploading the backed up settings from the config file but the issue returned. It only resolved when I went thru every step from a clean config so the issue is now resolved. Thanks for the recommendation.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
TonyB13
Aspirant

Update: I contacted OpenDNS for support and was told that my device had been registered by someone else. However, I purchased it new and I have owned this device for over 1.5 years. I am the original person to register it. They requested some screen shots to prove I owned it, which I provided and it has been a week of no responses since then.

The issue has progressed even further. Since Christmas break is over and my kid is back in school, a chromebook is required to do the homework. Even though the chromebook was previously connected without issues before the break, and it automatically "connected" to the WiFi with no problem, the router has now "blocked" the chromebook and no matter what I do it will NOT unblock the device to allow any traffic to pass thru. I tried it via the Netgear Genie app and directly logging into the routers interface.

It feels like the next logical step is to reset the device to factory, but I am nervous about that as I am afraid it will brick it and then I have to go out and buy a new device.

ANY recommendations? 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 2 of 5

@TonyB13 wrote:

Yesterday I updated the firmware on my nighthawk.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

If issues persist, you could reload the older firmware.

Message 3 of 5
TonyB13
Aspirant

I am trying it out today and will post with the results. Thanks for the recrommendation.

Message 4 of 5
TonyB13
Aspirant

I had to do the hard reset on the router and then a manual configuration of the settings. I tried restting then uploading the backed up settings from the config file but the issue returned. It only resolved when I went thru every step from a clean config so the issue is now resolved. Thanks for the recommendation.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7