Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded firmware and had a performance degradation.

boojiboy71
Aspirant

Upgraded firmware and had a performance degradation.

So I updated to the newest firmware for this model over the weekend and noticed that I lost 50Mbps from my download speed. Since my max for the package that I have is 150Mbps, it was very significant drop.

Did all the troubleshooting steps, even had the internet provider out here looking at stuff. He traced it back to the router. So I rolled back the firmware to V1.0.5.28 and my performance return to normal.

Did anybody else have that experience? Is it perhaps a sign that my router is going to bite the dust?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: Upgraded firmware and had a performance degradation.

@boojiboy71 wrote:

Did anybody else have that experience? Is it perhaps a sign that my router is going to bite the dust?

Probably not. Equally likely that there is a problem with the firmware you used. It has happened.

@boojiboy71 wrote:

So I updated to the newest firmware for this model over the weekend and noticed that I lost 50Mbps from my download speed.

Measured how? Not wifi, I hope. That is not reliable and depends on wifi clients.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

You can reduce the hassle of reconfiguring all those settings by creating a backup of your settings before you reset. Then if something is still broken after the reset, and the new firmware has not fixed it, you can restore the device to its pre-reset state.

You could even try restoring the settings even if the new firmware has fixed the problems, but be prepared for the restore to also bring back your problems.

Message 2 of 8
boojiboy71
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. 

I did the speed test directly from the router.  And I actually spoke too soon about speed levels, when I rolled back the firmware my performance improved, but did not get back to the prior level.  Meaning:

Prior to firmware update:  148 Mbps down
After firmware update:       63 Mbps down
After firmware rollback:     110 Mbps down

I was unaware of the factory reset troubleshooting step. I will back up my settings currently, and give that a try later today.

Thank you.
Message 3 of 8
boojiboy71
Aspirant

So I have also done the factory reset. But the download times tested at the router still fluctuate a lot. 106 Mbps down to 148 Mbps down.

Are there any more troubleshooting steps? Or is this router starting to go south?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 8

@boojiboy71 wrote:

So I have also done the factory reset. But the download times tested at the router still fluctuate a lot. 106 Mbps down to 148 Mbps down.

Is there any pattern to this? That is a wide variation, but ISPs can have different traffic loads at different times of the day. Likewise the speed test sites.

At least you sometimes get the peak speeds you'd expect.

Message 5 of 8
boojiboy71
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.

Early in the trouble shooting phase it was the ISP technician that traced it to my router. Meaning  prior to the router, the speed was consistent and at the rate that it should be for what I have purchased. Which is 150 Mbps up and 150 Mbps down.  It is a fiber optic connections, so I am well below the available broadband.

When tested after the server, it was the rates that I had mentioned above.

I really can't see any pattern with the test that I do. I've done them very early in the morning, 3:30 a.m., and during peak times, but I just don't see any pattern.
Message 6 of 8

@boojiboy71 wrote:
It is a fiber optic connections, so I am well below the available broadband.

I'm not sure what that means.

After the speed drops, does it stay like that?

The fact you recovered some of the speed after rolling back to the previous firmware version suggests something nasty there. With luck they will mend it in a new release.

Did we ever get into your modem, if there is one? What is it? I should have asked earlier.

Message 7 of 8
boojiboy71
Aspirant

With regard to the fiber optic, I was indicating that I think there is more than enough bandwidth for my service provider that it would not be bogged down at certain parts of the day.  When the service provider technician was out here he indicated that it should definitely be a 150 and down without much variation.

There is no modem. Just the router.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7