Upgrading Firmware

Fast_User
Aspirant

Upgrading Firmware

Received an email that a new firmware upgrade was available.  I currently am running the 1.02.40 version, installed January 2018.  Got to the download screen, logged in and found 1.0246.  When you hit the button to download both files, PDF and firmware file are corrupt.  Anyone else run into this problem?

Also, surprised thy don't use www.routerlogin.net anymore.  I tried that and its on safe according to Nortons.

Any way to let them know about the file issues?

Del

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 14

Re: Upgrading Firmware

@Fast_User wrote:

Received an email that a new firmware upgrade was available.  I currently am running the 1.02.40 version, installed January 2018.  Got to the download screen, logged in and found 1.0246.  When you hit the button to download both files, PDF and firmware file are corrupt.  Anyone else run into this problem?

What PDF? You should get a zip file that contains release notes and the firmware. You have to unzip it.

@Fast_User wrote:

Also, surprised thy don't use www.routerlogin.net anymore.  I tried that and its on safe according to Nortons.

That a Norton issue. That address should still works.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 14

By the way, I checked the firmware download. It works and delivers the right files.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 14
Fast_User
Aspirant

The zipped file contains the data file and the PDF.  Both showed corrupt when I tried to open.

Will try again.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 14
antinode
Guru

> The zipped file contains the data file and the PDF.

When I download R7800-V1.0.2.46.zip (25736187 bytes), I see no
problems:

pro3$ unzipx -t R7800-V1.0.2.46.zip
Archive:  R7800-V1.0.2.46.zip
    testing: R7800-V1.0.2.46.img      OK
    testing: R7800-V1.0.2.46_Release_Notes.html   OK
No errors detected in compressed data of R7800-V1.0.2.46.zip.

And, as you can see, the Release Notes file is HTML, not PDF.

> Both showed corrupt when I tried to open.

"showed corrupt" how, exactly?  "tried to open" how, exactly?  On what
were you doing this?

As usual, showing actual actions with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

Message 5 of 14

@Fast_User wrote:

The zipped file contains the data file and the PDF. 

It is not a PDF file in my copy of R7800-V1.0.2.46.zip.

It is the file R7800-V1.0.2.46_Release_Notes.html

Along with R7800-V1.0.2.46.img

So something strange is going on at your end.

Just another user.

Message 6 of 14
IrvSp
Master

Wondering if you got some e-mail that wasn't from NG and it provided links to some other site that might have a virus d/l?

WWW.ROUTERLOGIN.NET still does work and I have Norton and it doesn't complain? What is the FULL info Norton provides to you?

I have NEVER seen a PDF file in any ZIP for firmware that NG has released, and I have had MANY NETGEAR products over the year.

Post the link you have for the D/L's please? This is the one that I see to get to it, https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7800.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.2.46, and that is where the ZIP file can be d/l'ed from.

Message 7 of 14
Fast_User
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip.  Even using your link and hitting extract, selecting download location and it shows the two files, the disc image file and the PDF file.  See attachment for my screen shot. 

When you click on the disc image file it says :  The disc image file is corrupt.  Same error message when you click on the PDF on the file name changes.

Frustrated and not happy with Netgear.

Del

Now it does not like the file extension so I can't leave the screen shot.

Message 8 of 14
Fast_User
Aspirant

Yes the file format is PDF for the Release notes.

Message 9 of 14
Fast_User
Aspirant

Thanks but that was not help.

Message 10 of 14
antinode
Guru

> [...] it shows the two files, the disc image file and the PDF file.

What, exactly, is "it"?  The Release Notes file is still HTML, not a
"PDF file".

> When you click on the disc image file [...]

And who said to do that?  If you (use a web browser to) open
R7800-V1.0.2.46_Release_Notes.html , and read the instructions there,
then you may get further.

> [...] Same error message when you click on the PDF on the file name
> changes.

I don't know what that means.  There is still no PDF anywhere in this
process.

What kind of computer are you using?  Mac?  Windows?  Other?

> Now it does not like the file extension [...]

Can't see that, either.

> Frustrated and not happy with Netgear.

I share your frustration, but mine comes from a different source.

Message 11 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@Fast_User wrote:

Thanks for the tip.  Even using your link and hitting extract, selecting download location and it shows the two files, the disc image file and the PDF file.  See attachment for my screen shot.  

The file might be named R7800-V1.0.2.46.img - still it's not a Mac or Windows disk image file. It's a firmware image to be flashed - nothing to be opened or mounted on a computer.

@Fast_User wrote:

When you click on the disc image file it says :  The disc image file is corrupt.  Same error message when you click on the PDF on the file name changes.

Again, there is no need to open this firmware image on your computer - no double click.

Check the file listing, the file name, not some aritifcial file type associations. 

As for the other community member, the R7800-V1.0.2.46.zip downloaded from https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7800.aspx#download does contain two files named

R7800-V1.0.2.46.img
R7800-V1.0.2.46_Release_Notes.html

The html file does contain exact the main content as visible on the main frame on the R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.46 Release Notes

@Fast_User wrote:

.jpg, or .png can be considered kind of industry and Internet Web standard formats for this purpose. 

Message 12 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@Fast_User wrote:

What OS are you running? I suspect you have HTML files set to open as a PDF by assigning HTML extension to whatever program you use for PDF's. I assure you the FILE EXTENSIONS are .IMG and .HTML.

====

K:\Inet DL\R7800-V1.0.2.46>dir
 Volume in drive K is Disk_K
 Volume Serial Number is 0F0B-10C0

Directory of K:\Inet DL\R7800-V1.0.2.46
04/07/2018  03:37 PM    <DIR>          .
04/07/2018  03:37 PM    <DIR>          ..
03/01/2018  05:08 PM        25,798,785 R7800-V1.0.2.46.img
03/07/2018  08:15 AM             2,944 R7800-V1.0.2.46_Release_Notes.html
               2 File(s)     25,801,729 bytes

=====

That .img file IS not a Disk Image file. It is a ROUTER UPDATE file. You go to the page on the router using a browser and where it is for ROUTER UPDATE BROWSE for where you unpacked the .img file to, select it and press OK.

If you can, you can MARK,  CUT, AND PASTE the DIR as I've done above for the ZIP file contents extracted to a directory.

Message 13 of 14

@Fast_User

We are all getting lost here and losing the point. You want to upgrade your firmware

Forget about downloads that befuddle your computer. Cut through all of this chaos and confusion by ignoring the download. Tell the router to look for the new firmware.

There is a manual for the R7800 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 88.

That works for most people. Experienced users (aka nerds) try to avoid this because it can fall over and create chaos. You can reduce that risk by using a wired LAN connection rather than wifi. And don't do it if there are thunderstorm around that might cause a power loss.

Just another user.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements