Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading home network - last piece is the router - recommendations reqested

cybergrrl
Aspirant

Upgrading home network - last piece is the router - recommendations reqested

I've always had a Linksys network but recently added the Netgear Nighthawk EX8000 Mesh Extender because I'm working from home and my office is in the DETACHED garage, 110' away from the router in the house. The best spot for the extender is either inside the house at the back door, 42' from the router and 40' from the garage or in the garage, 20' from my office upstairs and  82' from the router in the house (in other words, there's no way to run a cable or put any type of booster/extender in the 40' of backyard that separates the house and the garage).

Comcast recommended I upgrade my modem so I'm prepared to purchase a Netgear CM1000. My Linksys router randomly drops the connection (a known problem by Linksys for years, I just found out) so I've decided to upgrade the router too and decided to go ahead with Netgear for that as well (might as well since I've sunk money into the rest of the network).

Our current plan provides "up to 300mbps download" but we may upgrade that or go to fiber. Maybe I should have gone with a mesh network but that's probably not cost effective now. I don't do gaming or stream movies but I do have many online trainings, webinars, zoom meetings and use multiple networked devices simultaneously so I'd like to take advantage of Wifi 6. I must have something that will work over this long distance but I don't want overkill (ie AX11000) if I don't need it.

Recommendations appreciated, thanks.

Becky

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
cybergrrl
Aspirant

Re: Upgrading home network - last piece is the router - recommendations reqested

Sorry to bother you again. I've looked into your suggestion of going with the Orbi mesh and I think I'll give that a try so it probably makes sense to move this to the Orbi topic board to further this discussion instead of the Nighthawk board. Thanks for the suggestion.

View solution in original post

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Upgrading home network - last piece is the router - recommendations reqested

You're kind of caught in a catch 22. 

Probably should have went with a mesh network but even if you did, that distance can be an issue. 

I'd still probably go for a mesh network and the reason whys is its designed to do what your wanting. 

And the price of Orbi AC has dropped a lot since the orbi AX devices has been released and there's been quite a few renewed deals I've seen lately on the Orbi AC version. It might not be that much difference in price 

I can confirm the EX8000 will connect with orbi but it doesn't function in the same capacity as a mesh satellite like orbi. You'd want to give it a different name. But it'd be an option to use or to sell to recoup the price difference. 

Message 2 of 5
cybergrrl
Aspirant

Do you think using the Orbi RBR20 for the router and adding the Orbi Outdoor Satellite RBS50Y on the garage instead of the EX8000 extender would be a good set up? I still have to replace my modem but getting the Orbi CBR40 modem/router doesn't look like it would optimize this set up.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I've only used the RBK43 and RBK53 systems with the RBS50Y. It *should* perform the same running the rbr20 as the rbr40 but stranger things have happened. I had great luck with running those systems both indoors and outdoors.

Message 4 of 5
cybergrrl
Aspirant

Sorry to bother you again. I've looked into your suggestion of going with the Orbi mesh and I think I'll give that a try so it probably makes sense to move this to the Orbi topic board to further this discussion instead of the Nighthawk board. Thanks for the suggestion.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7