Use extra Nighthawk Routers with a Mesh System

DPaj80
Aspirant

Use extra Nighthawk Routers with a Mesh System

Hello, I currently have a new place and a wifi mesh system is installed (D-Link Covr-2202) (2 units).  While it is ok, I still have a lot of dead spots where the wifi is spotty.  I have (3) Nighthawk R6700 routers that are not being used.  Is there a way to integrate these into the mesh system so I can hopefully cover some of the dead spots in the home?  My only experience was using (1) router with the cable modem in the past in my old home which was much smaller, but was functional.  Anyway to make use of these as say a wifi extender?  Thanks!!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Use extra Nighthawk Routers with a Mesh System

You can add them as Acess points but they would not work as a mesh system they would create a new wifi network.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
myersw
Master

No mesh there. 

Netgear Orbi or better yet Eero would provide true mesh. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 3 of 4
DPaj80
Aspirant

Thanks, ok so they would only work as an access point, not as signal extenders to the main mesh wifi network?  If I was to get rid of the mesh network equipment and just have the 3 routers around the house, would they then function as basically signal extenders?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E