Re: User Manual & Antenna Positioning

tvBilly
Aspirant

User Manual & Antenna Positioning

Hi,

Just hooked up the new R8000 (via Amazon). I'm using it as an Access Point rather than a full router, and so far it's been working exceptionally well for the past 8 hours and it's just barely warm. It's replacing an aging ASUS RT-N56U, and it's living 9 floors up in the middle of Times Square, with more rf and SSIDs than you might believe. If a wireless router works well here, I suspect it will work well anywhere.

Has anyone found the User Manual anywhere on-line? It's not to be found on the Netgear web site (at least by me), and it's not part of the FCC documentation.

In the mean while, anyone have any insight as to the best way to position the unit and the antennas? My setup is only one floor, but it's long (100+ feet) and narrow (15 feet), and the N8000 lives at one end of the long run, not in the middle. The FCC docs indicate that three antennas on one side work the 2.4 and 5.0 low band, and the three on the other side work the 5.0 high band.

To begin with, I don't know the antenna pattern (and for that matter it can be dynamically changed by the R8000...), I don't even know if I should orient the R8000 with one set of antennas pointing down the long way (with the other three six inches behind them), or rotate the R8000 90° so that both sets of three antennas are parallel to the long walls. Then there's the multiple possibilities with each of the six antennas which can each be angled in multiple positions. It boggles my mind.

I could use some advice to save me a BUNCH of walking around reading a signal strength meter, but advice or not, I'll chime in if I discover anything useful.

Oh, and my power light continuously toggles between red (amber?) and white. The older R7000 manual indicates that means either the firmware is updating (it's not, it's already been updated successfully) or the reset button was pushed (it hasn't been, and the R8000 is working just fine with a half dozen clients connected. Maybe it means that the R8000 is in Access Point mode (rather than full router mode)? I wish I had a manual...

Thanks! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

the power light toggling means it's in AP Mode
Message 2 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

In the mean while, anyone have any insight as to the best way to position the unit and the antennas? My setup is only one floor, but it's long (100+ feet) and narrow (15 feet), and the N8000 lives at one end of the long run, not in the middle. The FCC docs indicate that three antennas on one side work the 2.4 and 5.0 low band, and the three on the other side work the 5.0 high band.
''

If you can not setup middle of the house than most likely adjacent side will have low signal.

On signal floor house/apt. I would put all three stand up for horizontal spread but locate the router at either side of house/apt will cause signal issues
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 10
willbush6301
Aspirant

NETGEAR has been notified regarding the missing User Manual, expect it to be posted in a day or so on the Support page for the R8000.
Message 4 of 10
willbush6301
Aspirant

Message 5 of 10
tvBilly
Aspirant

Thanks for the pointer to the manual (and thanks to whomever uploaded it).

After a quick read, I noticed two things.

(1) If my understanding that the power light will cycle between amber and white when the R8000 is in Access Point mode is correct (and that's what mine does), then shouldn't it be mentioned in the manual. On Page 10 (Hardware Setup), all that's there now is "Blinking amber. The firmware is upgrading, or the Reset button was pressed." The power light mode is also not mentioned in the section about Access Point mode.

(2) In Access Point mode, the WPS settings are grayed out (un-selectable). Does this mean that WPS is always available (I hope not), or that it's never available. I really don't want WPS active...

Thanks for the help (and for what is turning out to be an outstanding wireless access point).
Message 6 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

willbush6301 wrote:
User Manual is posted http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8000/R8000_UM_8Jul14.pdf
Tried to download this 6 times this morning. Comes up with network error. I wonder who's network is causing the error? It surely couldn't be my R8000. I also viewed the Manual on the R8000 support site and that manual needs to be updated regarding Power Led Flashing White/Amber in AP Mode. Also if a factory default is required when updating FW then maybe that should also be added to the manual too.
Message 7 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Downloaded fine ..... 10sec and I saw the manual Smiley Very Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks, I just tried it and it went through in seconds. My guess someone read the post or they had some issue. Earlier it jumped to 6 and hung at last few bytes or bits.
Message 9 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Could just server was not full with connection and refused it.

Oh well.. it happens Smiley Very Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos