Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Netgear R8500 Router

GnD62798
Aspirant

Using Netgear R8500 Router

Have Cox cable internet speed Ultimate 500.  Can only get router download speeds at 200mb or so.   Any idea on what might be going on with router settings so that I can increase the download speed from ISP?   Thanks!

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Using Netgear R8500 Router

What modem do you have? 

What speeds do you get directly off the modem?
What firmware is on the router? 
Make sure qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls are all disabled and then reboot the router. 

Message 2 of 7
GnD62798
Aspirant

What modem do you have?    Netgear CM1000

What speeds do you get directly off the modem?   Cox tech just left and using his meter shows about 600mb
What firmware is on the router?   Just upgraded router firmware to V1.0.2.144
Make sure qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls are all disabled and then reboot the router. These are all off and have rebooted router with similar download speeds.    

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Not the cox tech, but you. 

directly connect a pc/laptop to the modem and see what you get. 

the 200mbps that you're getting, is that wired or wireless? 

What wired speeds do you get?

Message 4 of 7
GnD62798
Aspirant

Not the cox tech, but you.    Directly connect a pc/laptop to the modem and see what you get. 

---->When he left, i brought my laptop up and connected directly (wired) to the back of the modem and rec'd about 350 or so

the 200mbps that you're getting, is that wired or wireless?    --->It is wireless, using iPhone.   These are the same speeds i saw when the ISP was at Ultimate 300 speed

What wired speeds do you get?  Wired thru a switch is at 330-350 via a Firestick device

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@GnD62798 wrote:

Not the cox tech, but you.    Directly connect a pc/laptop to the modem and see what you get. 

---->When he left, i brought my laptop up and connected directly (wired) to the back of the modem and rec'd about 350 or so----You're paying for 500? you should get at least that hardwired in. 

the 200mbps that you're getting, is that wired or wireless?    --->It is wireless, using iPhone.   These are the same speeds i saw when the ISP was at Ultimate 300 speed----It might be a device limitation and not a router limitation. If you already weren't able to max out a 300mbps connection, then the bottle neck wasn't the ISP speeds. 

What wired speeds do you get?  Wired thru a switch is at 330-350 via a Firestick device---wireless won't be as fast as wired. But again, if you're paying for 500, you should be able to get that wired. Maybe not on a firestick because I'm not sure how reliable the firestick is at speedtesting .

Message 6 of 7
GnD62798
Aspirant

Thanks for your feedback.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation