Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Nighthawk as an access point

Flo_Paris
Tutor

Using Nighthawk as an access point

Dear Community,

I have internet via Cable.

My router is in the basement of my home - and the wifi signal pretty bad on the first floor.

I bought a Nighthawk D7000v2 and wants to use it as an Access Point, plugging it to the ethernet connection I have on the first floor.

I went to the interface of the Netgear router and set it up as an AP - but every 2 or 3 hours, the connection is down.

Can you please help to set it up properly ?

Support thanks for your support ! 

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
feobrien
Aspirant

Re: Using Nighthawk as an access point

That should work. I have a similar setup with an old R6400. Maybe it is a cabling issue. Have you checked and or replaced the cables?

Message 2 of 8
Flo_Paris
Tutor

Hi Feobrien,

super thanks for your answer. Yes, I changed the cable - no better.

The wifi is almost never avalaible - and the internet button orange.

Did you do any special config in the router interface ? 

Message 3 of 8
feobrien
Aspirant

I believe the led is orange becuase it is a low speed connection 10 vs 100 MB. I see you have two wires plugged into the "access point'. I assume one is from the other router downstairs and the other is connected to something hardwired in that room.  Is the hardwired device in that room working? Also plug the input to the "access point" from downstairs into the yellow "internet" input.

Message 4 of 8
feobrien
Aspirant

I just had one more thought. When you set up the router as an "access point" did you change the Wi-Fi SSID to something different than the one downstairs? I'm wondering if your devices are still trying to connect to the one downstairs and given the weak signal that's why they keep dropping.  You might want to give the "access point" SSID a different name and snure you are connecting to that one.

Message 5 of 8
Flo_Paris
Tutor

Thank you so much Feobrien ! 

I did connect the "yellow" port to my router - and use the other as a pure LAN for my laptop. This connection works ok, but get disconnected from time to time.

I´ll try this weekend your SSID hint.

Again, a huge thanks ! 

Message 6 of 8
Flo_Paris
Tutor

Hi Feobrien,

just a short heads-up : I´ve reset my hw and just tick in the box Access Point in the router portal. Seems to work properly now.

I´ve also change my ethernet cable - and the internet light is now white, ie. better signal.

A huge thanksk for your support - it was super helpful.

Flo

Message 7 of 8
feobrien
Aspirant

Glad you got your problem resolved.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation