Using R7000 in AP mode with WDS?

lancorp
Aspirant

Using R7000 in AP mode with WDS?

We want to configure three R7000's in a WDS system over the span of a long house.  The first one would be wired to the house network, but in AP mode, as we already have a firewall/router appliance in place.

The other two we would want to be setup as repeaters.  I suppose the first (wired) would need to be setup as a base station, but I'm not sure that is possible when the R7000 is configured in AP mode.  (at least my personal R7000 disables the repeating setup menus when in AP mode).

Ultimately, we want just one SSID broadcast through the house, not three of the same, hence using WDS (or, would three R7000's in AP mode still only show up as ONE SSID)?

Thank you for any help.

Message 1 of 6
netwrks
Master

Re: Using R7000 in AP mode with WDS?

The best way to configure your network, is one base router (DHCP Server) and the rest AP's but you need to use ethenet cables between base router and AP's. You can set up 3 routers with the same SSID's, but change the band channels on the router. Do not leave 2.4ghz in auto ( uase 1 6 and 11) Use the high channels in 5ghz - different channels. You may have to tweak for best throughput. Some wireless clients don't roam well, they tend to stick to the first AP they connect to.. 

WDS is not secure, you cannot have any sort of security set on R7000. Page 116.

Bridge Mode. Page 114.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7000/R7000_UM_10Oct13.pdf

Message 2 of 6
lancorp
Aspirant

@netwrks...thanks for the info.  It is a rather technically advanced home, there is a server that handles DHCP, and a Sonicwall firewall that acts as the firewall/router.

So you are saying there is no way to connect 3 or 4 R7000's in a house together as one SSID, when only one of the R7000's is wired and the rest are wireless?

What about using powerline to the other 2 or 3 R7000's to make them wired?  Then, just use the same SSID on all, change to unique channels and go with that?

Message 3 of 6
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

My personal preference in order is Ethernet cable, powerline, repeating. Assuming you can’t / don’t want to run Ethernet cable then I would say that Powerline plus APs is the better option.

netwrks
Master

You can use the same SSID on all your AP's. The only thing that you should ensure is unique channels  on 2.4 and 5ghz bands. The other thing I mentioned is that some clients may not roam well, as they do like to stick to their originating AP. You may, or may not have that issue.

I don't use my 7000 at home as a router. I use a UBNT PoE Edgerouter. My Edgerouter is connected  my modem of course, and I also have an uplink to a Netgear managed switch, where my 7000 (in AP mode) and other wired devices connect to my network.

In your configuration, you can have all the 7000's in AP mode, connect via ethenet to a managed (or unamanaged) switch, which would connected to your Sonicwall router. Configure them all with a reserved, or static IP Address per  7000 AP.  The best way to physiacally connect them, is with  CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet, (powerline if you must, but you will take a throughput hit), you can use same SSID for your whole house if you want. Each SSID is configured on each AP, so you can label the SSID's which ever way you like.  Hope this is clearer.. 

Message 5 of 6
netwrks
Master

If you are looking for a more feature rich firmware for your R7000's, have a look at this link. I run it on two R7000's, with no issues.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements