Using a router as a 'WIRED SWITCH"

Dragonerr
Aspirant

Using a router as a 'WIRED SWITCH"

There is a thread "Nighthawk R7000 as a switch" that is close to my concerns. However, my questions are different. These questions concern both the R7000 and R7000P. I'm assuming answers will apply to both but am not certain.

The first issue is that I want to disable DHCP on a router so that it acts as a wireless switch. What I mean is that it will be the physical entry point to my LAN for wired connections to its ports and wireless users who have netname and password. This box will be attached, by one of its LAN ports to an actual functioning router through one or more wireless switches. Will this work?

The second issue is that I want to be able to disable wireless on a router and use it as strictly a wired appliance. Will this work?

Motivation: The physical entry point of the cable is in one corner of a large house - not a good place to put a wireless entry point but I cannot change it. The router there is connected via switches and gigabit wire to various places in the home. I want to use the entry point router as a strictly wired device (not enable its wireless capability) and put the wireless switch in the center of the house. I have this arrangement now using older equipment and I want to deplicate the effect with higher speed stuff. I recently replaced a dead Arris modem with a Nighthawk CM1150V and can get Gigabit cable for $30 extra a month. I realize this involves buying two routers.

Any answers or information will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Using a router as a 'WIRED SWITCH"

You mean like access point mode? it disables the routing functions. You then can disable the wireless.

Seems a bit over kill though. unmanaged switches are cheap and use much less power. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 4
Dragonerr
Aspirant

Thanks for reponding.

The router that sits next to the cable modem is to operate wireless since it's not in a central location; it's hard, now days, to find decent speed wired-only routers for home use. Thus, I wish to buy an available wireless router and castrate the wireless function, ergo, producing a wired router.

The other end, after passing through unmanaged switches to a central location, is where I want to put something like a wireless access point as well as providing a few gigabit wired ports. At that point I want an appliance that will accept wireless net connections and athenticate netname & password. That can be accomplished by a wireless router: however, a router that dosen't have a direct cable modem connection will make a mess. That is why I want to turn off DHCP so that this router will manage wireless access while acting like a switch (managed or unmanaged) for the wireless connections as well as the wired ones.

I should add some more motivation: 1) as I said above, it's hard find decent=speed wired-only routers and 2) the access point appliances that I looked at seemed to need a wireless companion to actually handle various admin details.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Forget these other consumer all-in-one routers - and the problems which don 't exist;

Not much motivation required - a Netgear BR500 router, a Netgear PoE switch, some WAC505 or WAC540 where you expect to have more clients and wireless bandwidth.

If you choose Insight cloud manageable devices, you can manage and monitor the network from anywhere on the Internet - by App or by a Web portal - for a few USD per device and year. There is no "must" - but believe me, it's very handy!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E