× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using range extender with switch

kenincaen
Aspirant

Using range extender with switch

Dear all

I want to use my Nighthawk as a range extender to link our home office with the internet router [Orange Livebox - fast fibre]. That is in another room – location fixed by the provider technicians [the building's fibre "trunk" is the other side of the wall].

Currently we have 3x iMacs and 2 printers on wifi + 1 USB printer,  but wifi can be flaky [1960s building, lots of rebar etc].

My solution: hardwire all units with Cat6 to the Nighthawkm which I can position almost "line of sight" to the Orange box].

Since that = 6 units and the Nhawk has only 5x RJ45, I plan to use my old Prosafe switch to give 1 or 2 extra connections.

Questions:

1. Will this work? [Assuming I can find a good position for the Nhawk]
  2. Does it matter which units – Macs or printers – are wired to the Extender and which go via the switch?
  3. Do I still need the Macs to use wifi protocols to connect to the router / internet 
  4. What else do I need to know?

TIA

Ken

2 Macs are current / recent using Big Sur / Catalina, 1 older Mac on Mojave.

Orange Livebox provides AC networking @ 2.4GHz / 5GHz

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Using range extender with switch

@kenincaen wrote:

1. Will this work? [Assuming I can find a good position for the Nhawk]----it should. I've wired an unmanged switch to a range extender before. 
  2. Does it matter which units – Macs or printers – are wired to the Extender and which go via the switch?---no. the bottleneck isn't going to be the wired connection. It'll be the wireless connection between router----extender. 
  3. Do I still need the Macs to use wifi protocols to connect to the router / internet ---shouldn't need to. the wired connection should work fine. 
  4. What else do I need to know?

TIA

Ken

2 Macs are current / recent using Big Sur / Catalina, 1 older Mac on Mojave.

Orange Livebox provides AC networking @ 2.4GHz / 5GHz

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7