Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using second r6700 as access point

occicat
Star

Using second r6700 as access point

I just got a second r6700v3 and I'm in the process of setting it up as an access point. I was hoping for a swap of my wndr3300 which was used for the same thing but the process is a tad different, requiring you to click an option in the control panel on the r6700v3 to be used as the access point.

Currently my setup is one r6700v3 as my primary router and a secondary r6700v3 to be used as an access point.

I have a ethernet cable running from the primary r6700v3 up to where the secondary 6700v3 will reside.

Previously I had that ethernet cable plugged into the lan side on the wndr3300 but I'm getting conflicting information from searching that says that I have to connect the ethernet cable to the WAN side of the secondary r6700v3 to be used as an access point, instead of connecting to the LAN side like I did previously?

I also saw some posts from searching that mentioned an "old school" method that is supposidly better than the access point method I am refering to above.

In short I got myself somewhat turned around and I'm not sure if I'm doing any of this correctly now.

My other concern is that on the old wndr3300 I had the 2.4 and 5ghz SSID's set to the same as the base r6700v3, I should still be able to do that for the r6700v3 so I don't have to have people switching networks constantly and if signal strength drops on one, it will pick up on the other without a prompt to join a different network? That's how I had it setup on my old wndr3300 and I was able to access it's control panel via the IP assigned to it from the base r6700v3 I have.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

You'll have the R6700 thats in AP mode with the incoming ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port. 

In terms of roaming, its more based on your devices own roaming protocol and how well they perform. When you're not using mesh routers, there isnt' the same broadcast roaming protocols that make it easier/quicker for devices to switch. So its more when their own internal programing says switch. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You'll have the R6700 thats in AP mode with the incoming ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port. 

In terms of roaming, its more based on your devices own roaming protocol and how well they perform. When you're not using mesh routers, there isnt' the same broadcast roaming protocols that make it easier/quicker for devices to switch. So its more when their own internal programing says switch. 

Message 2 of 6
occicat
Star

Thank you!

I had it setup the previous way, ethernet on the LAN side but then switched it over to WAN and that's when I started to see some improvement in throughput and coverage. 

I swapped over the SSID's to be the same as well. I'm reading up still on mesh networks and the newer Netgear equipment but for the time being this is a good improvement over the wndr3300 I've been using for 14 years 🙂

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

One thing is make sure they're using different wireless channels. When setup in AP mode, they can interfere with each other so make sure that both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz are on different channels from the primary router to the AP. 

Message 4 of 6
occicat
Star

Great point! I have the base r6700v3 set to auto and the 5ghz is set by default to 153. 

Would it be advantageous to set channels from auto to 11 on the 2.4ghz side or leave it at auto and only modify the r6700v3 used as an AP? 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

I would do a quick wireless scan of your area. 

auto works fine but when there's quite a few, I prefer to just manually set them because you'll have 2 devices on the 2.4ghz. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7