× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Using the mr5100c in the UK

Blinky740
Guide

Using the mr5100c in the UK

I've recently got a nighthawk mr5100c and even though it works I'm only getting it showing it's connecting to LTE

The mobile provider uses band n78 (3500MHz) for 5g which from what I can tell should work. I know I get a 5g signal that I've tried with a fixed router and works fine.

Is there any reason why the mr5100c might not work in the UK?

(I've set up the apn to the network manually and tried changing the band selection between "all" and "lte and nr5g")

Message 1 of 14
ecofri
Guide

Re: Using the mr5100c in the UK

Recently I got MR5100c to connect 5G network on South Korea.

Same as UK, 5G network is served on NR78 as non-stand alone type.

However, I was not able to connect 5G network.

Connecting to 4G network was possible, but LTE-CA(carrier aggregation) only worked on B5+B7 so that the download speed is below than expected.

(Maybe you have same problem that LTE-CA only works on a few bands)

Currently I do not know exact reason. I already tried to modify AT band setting so that the device use all NR bands, but it was useless.

I will try to solve the problem by contacting my carrier.

I'll keep you updated.

Message 2 of 14
Blinky740
Guide

Interesting. I've got a callback due with netgear next week, so it'll be interesting to see what they say
Message 3 of 14
ecofri
Guide

Recently, I got some help from my carrier customer service department. In fact, my carrier has IMEI whitelist of 5G network, so all of 5G devices have to be registered. I registered IMEI of the device (MR5100C) and I was able to connect 5G network. Apparently the device shows “5G” on status bar.

However, download speed was not improved. Although this device shows “5G” on status bar, download/upload speeds were typical “4G” speed. I think this device does not utilize NR78 due to some reason.

I requested help from NETGEAR support team.

ssd.PNG
Message 4 of 14
Blinky740
Guide

I had a callback with netgear yesterday, but they didn't know what the issue was so it's been passed to a higher level support team who should be calling me back on Monday.

Message 5 of 14
AyeAyeAye
Apprentice

Hey ecofri

SK whitelist 5G products, good info! I mean consumers should be told this.
Probably don’t even tell shop & sales staff. Knowledge is power.
Message 6 of 14
Blinky740
Guide

Unfortunately, netgear support were no help and just said you can only get 5g on Bell in Canada and nowhere else with the router.

I asked why they were advertising all the bands it supports if it can't use them, but they just said "I'm sorry" and were keen to end the call.

Message 7 of 14
AyeAyeAye
Apprentice

Blinky,

Probably a third party outsourced script reader. You know the usual standard of ‘customer care’ these days.

Now I think if you are charging $500/£500+ for mobile broadband units when people can now get a 5G Android for $150/£150 to use as a Wi-fi Hotspot the very least Netgear should be doing as a minimum is having Netgear staff help people stay online, problems with wired routers are one thing but when you’re online access is dependent on a expensive Netgear mobile broadband product then ‘care’ needs to be good.

Or else Netgear will just keep destroying themselves/sales.
Message 8 of 14
ecofri
Guide

You should strongly insist that NETGEAR have to do a firmware update to support all bands listed on the product datasheet.

NETGEAR have to give money back if this expensive device does not operate as their product specification.

Message 9 of 14
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

Different country has different regulatory requirements. MR5100C is for Bell Canada. In Canada, n78 can't be enabled for mobile application. That is why n78 was disabled on MR5100C. But n78 is commonly used in EMEA.

Thanks

Message 10 of 14
ecofri
Guide

Thanks for your comment.

However, the product datasheet still indicates that the device support n78.

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/mobile/MR5100C.pdf

I did not know that this device actually does not support n78 before I brought this device from Canada. What can I trust if official documents have misinformation?

I selected MR5100C instead of MR5200, because MR5200 dose did not have LTE band 5 (850Mhz) support according to the product datasheet. However, the datasheet was amended recently as it truly supports LTE band 5 without any notice. Can I trust it? I know there is a lot of regulations and certifications that have to follow in this field, but your misinformation makes me wastes money. 

F4CBA882-B375-4BD7-8984-9F348FF4BD1B.jpeg

Message 11 of 14
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

The device is • Capable of supporting n5, n25, n66, n71,n77 and n78. n77 and n78 will be enabled in future release after Canadian government auctions the bands for mobile use. 

EU and North America have different LTE band suports. Using NA devices in EU also limits the device from using 4G network. 

Thanks

Message 12 of 14
AyeAyeAye
Apprentice

Eco friendly,

Really you need to contact your Gov consumer body if that is the case, they can’t just change specs bands willy nilly removing bands.

Message 13 of 14
Blinky740
Guide

So basically the hardware is capable, but there's no software to allow it to work.

Can you actually advertise something as having features when there's no way to use them? I've spent 100's on a product which is of no use based on the specification sheet saying it supported the bands I require. Maybe you should consider replacing the devices for people with an mr5200 or offering a firmware update to users you've mis-sold to.

Maybe netgear need to read this
https://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/02776.html
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7