Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using two R6700's together

bratdawg423
Guide

Using two R6700's together

I was able to get a refurbished R6700 for $11.99 and no shipping, so seized the chance to have an inexpensive backup in case something hppened to mine. But as I seemed to about maxed out with smart bulbs, switches, devices etc and wondered if there is any advantage to connecting the second one as an AP even though they would be in close proximity to each other? I don't need it for the signal, but wondering if it would help with the number of devices attached? If not, I'll store it until needed, but if it will help I'll go ahead and utilize it. Thanks.

Steve

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Using two R6700's together

@bratdawg423 wrote:

Thanks, and forgive me if I ask stupid questions, but I usually know and understand just enough to get into trouble, or overthink things! So is it possible to name the AP with different SSID's?----Yes you can.    And far apart would the units have to be?----thats up to you. You can have them sitting next to each other so long as you have the wireless channels seperated out so they aren't interfering. Might be beneficial to septerate them a ways if you're needing added coverage in the home. but if not, where ever you want. LAstly, is there a way to set up the AP wirelessly, or only thru Ethernet.----in access point mode, they need to be hardwired. The R5700 used to have a repeater/extender mode but I've see a lot of posts in the forums that it isn't in the firmware anymore. I can't confirm as I don't have that device to test/check it out.  I'm old and slow, but I'll get there! Thanks again.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
microchip8
Master

it won't help. AP mode is basically "switch mode with wifi". Your devices will still be managed by the main router. If you're looking for more ports, add a dumb switch

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

You can use it like that if you'd like. 

Just make sure you put the 2nd router in access point mode and to make sure the wireless channels are separated between the main router and the access point. 

I do this all the time to put all my IoT devices on a seperate network. 

Or you can use it for a wireless backup.

Message 3 of 7
bratdawg423
Guide

Thanks,I appreciate the reply.

Message 4 of 7
bratdawg423
Guide

Thanks, and forgive me if I ask stupid questions, but I usually know and understand just enough to get into trouble, or overthink things! So is it possible to name the AP with different SSID's? And far apart would the units have to be? LAstly, is there a way to set up the AP wirelessly, or only thru Ethernet. I'm old and slow, but I'll get there! Thanks again.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@bratdawg423 wrote:

Thanks, and forgive me if I ask stupid questions, but I usually know and understand just enough to get into trouble, or overthink things! So is it possible to name the AP with different SSID's?----Yes you can.    And far apart would the units have to be?----thats up to you. You can have them sitting next to each other so long as you have the wireless channels seperated out so they aren't interfering. Might be beneficial to septerate them a ways if you're needing added coverage in the home. but if not, where ever you want. LAstly, is there a way to set up the AP wirelessly, or only thru Ethernet.----in access point mode, they need to be hardwired. The R5700 used to have a repeater/extender mode but I've see a lot of posts in the forums that it isn't in the firmware anymore. I can't confirm as I don't have that device to test/check it out.  I'm old and slow, but I'll get there! Thanks again.

Message 6 of 7
bratdawg423
Guide

Thank you so much. That is a huge help and I appreciate it!

Steve

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7