Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: V1.0.7.2_1.1.93 has more than halved my speed

SimonN
Aspirant

V1.0.7.2_1.1.93 has more than halved my speed

Hi All, I knew I shouldn't have......

I updated the firmware. I knew it was a mistake.

I'm on FTTH

Yesterday it was 204 down / 20 up

Today it's waivering between 45-80 down and 20 up.

The difference? ------------> V1.0.7.2_1.1.93

I've treid factory reset, importing a saved config, starting a fresh set up (factory reset each time) - nothing.

I cannot get about 80 mbps no matter what I try.

Is this a known issue? My router is just. *JUST* outside the 90 days support......

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
SimonN
Aspirant

LOL - I apologise for the 'live update' feel to this thread - I've just reconnected the r7000 and tried again - now it's back to normal  - I suspect my ISP 'likes' to see their router or something similar. Sorry for the (now) fairly pointless posts.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10

All Replies
SimonN
Aspirant

Just FYI - I've dug out the ISP router and swapped over - it's reading 205 mbps down. It's 100% the firmware update on the r7000 that's done this.

Message 2 of 10
SimonN
Aspirant

LOL - I apologise for the 'live update' feel to this thread - I've just reconnected the r7000 and tried again - now it's back to normal  - I suspect my ISP 'likes' to see their router or something similar. Sorry for the (now) fairly pointless posts.

Message 3 of 10
coolguy949
Apprentice

Did you load a saved config? Try setting it up again from scratch on the new FW. I had a similar issue with my R7800 where restoring the config on a newer FW caused slow link speeds. It's possible something changed in the firmware where an old setting is detrimental to performance. I have my previous R7000 at my parents house running 1.0.5.70 with no issues at all and no need to risk the upgrade. Good luck!

Message 4 of 10
netwrks
Master

As an FYI, (for the future), don't load a config form another version of firmware. with a new version of firmware. That will cause problems. If you did have a problem, and loaded a config with an older version of firmware, chances are it would compound any problem you are having. 

Message 5 of 10
m4r1k
Initiate

I will never ever again buy a Netgear.
I was a "lucky" one getting and upgrading the extremely buggy 1.0.6.28. After months of pain Netgear removed the official version 1.0.5x and 1.0.6.x.

Everyone claims to clean up the configuration after an upgrade, a part from that this does not happen with ANY other consumer Router vendor.

This morning I've updated to 1.0.7.2, I did, as you suggest out of any technical reason but lack of good developers, clean up the configuration and now my internet speed significantly dropped from 500Mbps to about 100 an something.

My configuration is a bunch of devices (four smartphone, two Mac, one laptop, one PC/NAS, smart TV, chromecast, TV Boxes etc) a few connected by wire, the majority by 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
After the R7000 I have the Internet provider router and then FTTH: 500Mbps download and 100Mbps upload.

I checked the speed connection with a simple speedtest to two known speedtest servers before the upgrade, it was about 492Mbps in download and about 93 in upload.
After the update the download speed has dropped to about 100Mbps and the upload speed is still about 90Mbps.

I performed the tests by my PC/NAS connected with a Cat7 ethernet cable at 1Gbps. The tests has been done a few times to the same servers.

Connecting the NAS to the Internet router provider the speed go back to the previous results (actually a bit higher due to the less routing and latency in the middle).

Now I will downgrade again the firmware to 1.0.4.30 and I will never ever again think or advice to buy a Netgear device!

I really think that your QA/QE is: does the router boot after the upgrade? If yes, the new firmware can be shipped to whole market - there is not real explaination why almost every firmware shipped since one year are so f*cking buggy.

A really disappointed customer.

Message 6 of 10

@netwrks wrote:

...don't load a config form another version of firmware. with a new version of firmware...

This is an overly dogmatic statement. It may be the party line, but if you have a complicated setup it can be a pain.

There may be times when loading an old configuration works just fine. There are times when it won't.

If you reload the configuration and things look dodgy, then reset to factory settings.

Message 7 of 10
mso02005
Aspirant

I am having the same problem...

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 10
thelemonkid
Luminary

I always load up my configuration file after an update and reset.... Just to see if it works. If not I will reconfigure manually. But untill now I never had to do that. 

@michaelkenward wrote:

@netwrks wrote:

...don't load a config form another version of firmware. with a new version of firmware...

This is an overly dogmatic statement. It may be the party line, but if you have a complicated setup it can be a pain.

There may be times when loading an old configuration works just fine. There are times when it won't.

If you reload the configuration and things look dodgy, then reset to factory settings.

Message 9 of 10

@thelemonkid wrote:

I always load up my configuration file after an update and reset.... Just to see if it works. If not I will reconfigure manually. But untill now I never had to do that. 

Exactly. Do the reset when you need to. Not because someone said you must do it.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7