Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 r7000 Router goes catatonic

raznoe
Initiate

V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 r7000 Router goes catatonic

My router provides service to my mothers apartment and mine. She depends on the VoIP phone working. For over a year now I have had nothing but problems with firmware versions after upgrades. I held off upgrading for almost a year because I heard horror stories. I searched this version online last night and found no complaints. Maybe I should have come here. My entire network went dead all day today while I was at work. No way to call mom or check up on her from work. In my last firmware version I found myself unplugging and re plugging maybe once a month. This time it happened less than 12 hours later and instead of a few devices not getting network connectivity, every device was offline.

If anything happens and we can’t use the phone in an emergency, Netgear and their complete lack of awareness for these issues will probably see a class action lawsuit.

My security system also depends on a working network connection.

I come to find that people have been complaining about this firmware version as long ago as October last year, maybe longer. And the solution? To revert to an older firmware version.

My question is, if I revert, will I be back to unplugging the router once a month? Or will this problem finally go away?

I’m about done with this and will look into buying a different brand router. You people have no idea how frustrating this is.
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

My question is, if I revert, will I be back to unplugging the router once a month? Or will this problem finally go away?---unknown. If its a firmware issue, potentially. But if the issue is firmware plus some other issue such as hardware defect, power supply issue, modem issue, then no. It might continue. 

I’m about done with this and will look into buying a different brand router. You people have no idea how frustrating this is.-------we actually do. We've ran into the same issues as we'll as we're the one's recommending which firmware versions are decent.  I'd love to say that switching companies will fix the issue. but it won't necessarily. I've had great routers from netgear, great ones from other companies. I've also had a crap one from netgear and a crap 2 from other companies. The more advanced that routers get, the more complex the firmware running them. Which leads to bugs and instabilities. Its not unique to netgear. 

regardless of what happens, the firmware that most agree upon as being the most stable and reliable is the .42 version. If you downgrade to it, do it over a hardwired connection, factory reset the router afterwards, and don't install from a backup configuration. That's whats been giving people the most stability. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

My question is, if I revert, will I be back to unplugging the router once a month? Or will this problem finally go away?---unknown. If its a firmware issue, potentially. But if the issue is firmware plus some other issue such as hardware defect, power supply issue, modem issue, then no. It might continue. 

I’m about done with this and will look into buying a different brand router. You people have no idea how frustrating this is.-------we actually do. We've ran into the same issues as we'll as we're the one's recommending which firmware versions are decent.  I'd love to say that switching companies will fix the issue. but it won't necessarily. I've had great routers from netgear, great ones from other companies. I've also had a crap one from netgear and a crap 2 from other companies. The more advanced that routers get, the more complex the firmware running them. Which leads to bugs and instabilities. Its not unique to netgear. 

regardless of what happens, the firmware that most agree upon as being the most stable and reliable is the .42 version. If you downgrade to it, do it over a hardwired connection, factory reset the router afterwards, and don't install from a backup configuration. That's whats been giving people the most stability. 

Message 2 of 3
raznoe
Initiate

Thanks for replying. I'm hoping Netgear will pay attention because it is pretty ridiculous. I just reverted to .42, and so far so good. Let's see... What really gets me though is that they went as far as introducing an ad for a new "security" service into the firmware rather than work toward making their existing firmware bug-free. 

Yes, you are right, I came to Netgear because of crap from another company. But I have a friend who has a Linksys open source router and has no issues with lockups or having to restart periodically. He's had it running smooth for almost a year now. I may go that route (no pun intended).

Our lives are getting far too complicated and dependent on internet connectivity for this kind of trouble.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7