Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VLAN Configuration

Chrispybacon
Tutor

VLAN Configuration

I have a GS308T that I am trying to configure and I am having much difficulty.  I need one physical port to connect to my router as the trunk port for all traffic to the Internet.  I also need three VLANS configured s follows: ports 2 thru 6 as VLAN 10, port 7 as VLAN 20, and port 8 as VLAN 30.  For security purposes I want VLAN 20 isolated from the other ports, and port 30 also isolated from all other VLANs.  All VLANs need access to port 1 for internet access.

ive tried several times to configure the VLANs but nothing seems to work.  If someone has the time and knowledge perhaps you could help me figure out what I am missing.

''thank you in advance.

Model: GS308T|NETGEAR® S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch
Message 1 of 4

@Chrispybacon wrote:

I have a GS308T that I am trying to configure and I am having much difficulty.  

As we are talking about a switch here, I would have thought that setting up a VPN happens on your router.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so there may be useful responses here, but switches don't have much on common with routers, so you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Switches - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 4
Chrispybacon
Tutor

Thank you Michael, I appreciate your help.  I thought I was posting in the "Switches" area.

I will repost my question in the correct area as you have suggested..

Model: GS308T|NETGEAR® S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Chrispybacon wrote:

I also need three VLANS configured s follows: ports 2 thru 6 as VLAN 10, port 7 as VLAN 20, and port 8 as VLAN 30.  For security purposes I want VLAN 20 isolated from the other ports, and port 30 also isolated from all other VLANs.  All VLANs need access to port 1 for internet access.

This hasn't much to do with a true 802.1q VLANs where each VLAN makes up it's own network. What you try to achieve here is a so-called asymmetric VLAN config. Netgear does not have this documented (to my knowledge).

Convinced a moderator will also move this thread to the Smart Plus And Smart Pro Managed Switches Forum btw..

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7