VLAN tagging wifi NAS speed

zmetak
Follower

VLAN tagging wifi NAS speed

My ISP needs VLAN tag 10 to access internet. My NAS used to work great and fast before—without any issues when I was running without VLAN tagging enabled. Now the NAS is unusably slow (think KB/s). It is because of the VLAN tagging. I don't have any IPTV or similar so no device needs to talk to ISP directly. I've tried with a different router brands and it works as expected—they manage to separate ISP-required VLAN tagging from the subnetwork (192.168....) but my Netgear router doesn't seem to be able to do so after reading the threads in this community. I also have a bunch of Netgear triband extenders so changing this whole set up to a different brand might be too expensive.

1. Do you have any advice to approach the separation of VLAN tagging from my subnetwork, please?
  2. Do I need to use some additional hardware to make this set up work with the requirement of having a VLAN tagging on? (e.g. a switch)
  3. (Newbie question) Would static routing fix this?

Network configuration:

Optical socket
        |
   Converter
        | 
     Router
    |      |  
  NAS      Wifi devices (TV, phones, Google Home etc)

Router firmware: V1.0.4.46_10.1.63 (Auto update: On)
Router VLAN set up:

Enabled: yes, Name: Internet, VLAN ID: 10, Priority: 0, Wired: all, Wireless: all

Smart Connect is on.
No other features enabled as I did a factory reset from the dashboard (not the 30-30-30).
All cabling is Cat5e + it's a gigabit router and computer's wifi trying to copy files over support higher wifi throughput (MacBook Pro 2019).
My wifi coverage is uninterfered with strong signal everywhere as it's a new real estate development (double-checked with WifiAnalyzer).
When connected with a cable directly to the router, the speed is to move files around is incredible.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E