VPN Disconnected

Continuum
Aspirant

VPN Disconnected

The VPN and wifi work for a couple of days and then fail. wifi stops, VPN will not connect. The two problems seem to occur at roughly the same time, every time. Power-cycle the router fixes it for a couple of days. I have the latest (2019 Jan) Netgear firmware. This has been a chronic problem for some time and I keep hoping a firmware update will fix it, but it does not. The error I see in the log is: openvpn connection fail

Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: VPN Disconnected

Have you checked to see if the modem crashes at that same time that it happens?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
Continuum
Aspirant

The router does not crash, the modem is fine. Anything wired to the router continues to function normally. It's only VPN and wireless that start to be slow and then fail completely. After it fails, nothing will connect to the VPN or wireless until after the router is powered off and on. I use this router for remote work, so it is a serious problem.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Continuum
Aspirant

I had the same problem, it started after a firmware update. Every three days, the wireless would stop connecting and the VPn would disconnect and refuse to reconnect. It was like that for over a year, and no firmware update fixed it.

It is now fixed, and while I am not 100% certain this fixed it, I think it was. Try it and let us know here, because a lot of people have this problem. Here is what I stumbled across:

I disabled the qos. That made the problem even worse, it would disconnect after three hours instead of three days. So I turned the qos back on. After that, it has worked fine ever since, for over a month now.

Bottom line... disable qos, enable qos, restart at the appropriate times (your guess is as good as mine) and voila!

If this is the fix, maybe Netgear can bake something into the router firmware update program to do it automatically.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E