Re: VPN IP address

ae6dx00
Guide

VPN IP address

I have the VPN set up and it connects but my public IP address does not change to one from the VPN's network.  Is it supposed to?  I was hoping to be able to access resources while I'm away from home that normally require you to be on your home network.  Am I missing something?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
tlmassey
Apprentice

Your public IP address should be that of your home modem, since that's what you're ultimately accessing the internet from, unless you've set something to deliberately present the IP address as something else (spoofing).  A simpler way of stating is that that your IP address while connecting via VPN should be the same as when you're connected from home.

Are you able to access your home resources, since that's the goal?  As another check, most VPN clients will tell you whether they're connected to the target VPN server.

Message 2 of 12
ae6dx00
Guide

The client gives an error that my piblic IP address was not updated.  I am able to access resoiurces on the network after connecting.

See screenshots attached of error.

Message 3 of 12
ae6dx00
Guide

Second screenshot attached.

I tried calling Netgear support but they had to escalate to level 2 support.  I have not heard back yet.  Hoping someone here can assist?

Message 4 of 12
tlmassey
Apprentice

Hmm, are you testing the VPN from home, or away from home as you intend to ultimately use it?  If testing from home, it would make sense that your IP wouldn't change.  And sorry if this seems obvious; you didn't specify where you were testing, so I have to ask.

If you can access your home resources, then the VPN sounds like it is working at some level -- you have successfully connected to your home network.

The first warning in your screenshot (highlighted in blue) is just telling you that you're still using your ISP's DNS servers, which isn't necessarily a problem for you since you just want to be able to remotely access your home resources.  If you do want to try a different DNS server just to see how it goes, here's a few:
https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062

Message 5 of 12
ae6dx00
Guide

Yes I am testing away from home so yes how I'm intending to use it.  I'll try another DNS server.

I actually did try it from home at first and it would not connect at all.  Away from home it connects just not giving me an IP address from home.

Message 6 of 12
ae6dx00
Guide

I have connected to other VPNs and my piblic IP address has always updated.  Is there something in Tunnelblick or the router VPN settings I need to change?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 7 of 12
ae6dx00
Guide

I am still unable to get this to work.  Can anyone help?

Message 8 of 12
ae6dx00
Guide

I did some further testing.  If I select All sites on the internet and home network and then connect to the VPN I have no internet connection.  If I select Home Network only it is the same as if I had selected Auto I have an internet connection but my IP address is not updated.  I have changed my computer to use OpenDNS with no success.  So far Netgear has not replied to my ticket.  I also contacted Tunnelblick who said it is a Netgear problem.  Logs attached.

Message 9 of 12
ae6dx00
Guide

Second loig

Message 10 of 12
ae6dx00
Guide

Does the TUN and TAP being set to TCP vs UDP ports have anything to do with it?

Message 11 of 12
ae6dx00
Guide

I think I may have found a solution.  Netgear support directed me to https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&p=76043#p76043

See the next to last message.  What I am unclear on is what setting to I need to change?  Is this the subnet 255 number or the starting IP address 192.x number?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements